Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:06 PM   #1

Hi,

I took this picture of my 1 yr old, with a D70 that I borrowed over the weekend. My only changes to it in post processing was to make it grayscale w/improved contrast, and of course resized for this site.

I printed out an 8x10 and was happy with it, but my wife was not excited at all, so I am looking to see if I am going down the wrong path in my artistic endevour

I'm sure composition is not by the book, so I'm interested in getting all sorts of HONEST critique on my technique, framing, etc - really all aspects of the shot, and what could be done better. (or if you consider it a lost cause

Thanks for taking the time to look and hopefully respond!

-Tom
Attached Images

tomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:18 PM   #2

I love it, the composition seems ok to me, adds to the mood of the shot. Very cute child and I love the black and white effect. The only thing I find a little distractingis the floor at the very front of the child, the way it changes, there is a distinct cut off line there.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:38 PM   #3

I agree with Julie. This is a very nice shot. I love that there is action going on. As Julie points out, the one line on the floor is a distraction. It is the sharpest contrast in the image, and draws our attention away from the baby. I think this could be greatly improved if you cloned out this shadow area.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:03 PM   #4

And again, I agree. Lose the straight edge of the jointing strip, it is distracting. You can either clone it out or copy and paste from the 'clean' area.

This is a great photo of your baby and if I may offer a suggestion as to why your wife is not 'excited' about this......................perhaps she is looking at this and just sees your baby, and, to all intents and purposes, not a very good shot. I mean, let's face it, he/she is looking down and you haven't got his/her face very well now have you ?

That could be one way your wife sees it.

But, for me anyway, the composition is just right, with just enough space to the left to create in my mind the vision of your baby shuffling happily along on his/her bum, only to be confronted by a wall !! As one foot rises up the wall, your baby is looking at the foot and the obstacle and trying to work out why he/she, (would have been a lot easier if you had said his/her name :?), can't go any further !!

Of course it might just be me :roll:, but I think that we who take the photos look at subjects in a slightly different way. I understand where you're coming from, just the other day I posted a close up of my grandson that I thought was great, but my wife didn't think was particularly special :X.

You are taking the right path. I like it .

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:05 PM   #5

Thank you for the feedback!

You are absolutely right in that the line is distracting - I'll take a stab at removing it.

Thanks for agreeing it looked nice in bw, Aladyforty. When I looked at the picture, I felt bw would be more appropriate to capture the moment, and I thought it was special since she seemed focused. Out of about 50 pictures taken that day, I thought this one stood out - over the more typical 'big smile' candids.

I'll be posting some more pictures of her though - she is very charming (of course I am biased Her name is Charlotte - I should have mentioned it initially, Stevekin, Sorry!

Stevekin, I think you have a good point - my wife absolutely adores any picture where she can see Charlotte's eyes, and big smile. I guess the perspective is a bit different.

I'm relieved that I don't have a terrible sense of what makes for a good photograph, now! :-)

Thanks again,

-Tom

Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:40 AM   #6

I loved this picture from the moment I scrolled down the page. It makes me want to go and take more pictures of my kids!!!!

I dont mind the line either. I agree with all the comments about it but when you havent spent hours setting a picture up and you are just capturing moments.A few imperfections that wouldnt be there in a studio portrait are a tolerable reminder that its more important to get the shot and not overwork it than spend hours agonising and tweaking. Better to spend the time taking more pictures.

Its interesting to hear your wifes reaction. All my favourite pictures are when my kids are in a world of their own and the camera captures that. My wife loves the pictures when you have their attention but to methe type of image you have taken is far more interesting.
Dinmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:09 AM   #7

The more I look at this shot the more I like it. When you have edited that front bit, I would enter it in "Photo of the day". When my sons were babies (way back in the olden daysbefore digital) I would shoot rolls and rolls of film of them doing their own thing, looking out windows, eating dirt, doing all that stuff babies do. I used to get told Im wasting my film as I'd probably get only three shots off a roll that showed them looking at the camera. I would get people saying "but the baby is not in the middle of the photo:roll:". These shots paid off as I did win some photo competitions over the years with them. I believe that as others have said, people who are not into composition and different outlooks will never see things the same, they only will like the standard type of baby photo.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:59 AM   #8
Super Moderator

this is simply a superb picture.. the composition is spot on and the "pose" if you may is terrific..

i agree.. clone or copy out that line, it interrupts the flow.. and i also may suggest playing with a little levels adjustment to see if you can bring out just a smidgen more contrast.. don't overdo it thoug on a shot like this.. just play with it a little.. and if you don't like it, forget it... because as it stands, it is a great shot.. one of the better infant shots i have seen in a while..

nice work! -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:25 PM   #9

Dinmore, thanks for your input. Yes it seems that photographers tend to have a different perspective than others as to what makes a good picture, at least when it concerns such personal subjects :-). Also, yes, for personal use, and my emotional view, the line doesn't bother that much, but I agree that if it is to be used in public, greater attention to the aestethics must be made.

Aladyforty, I'm very flattered by your kind words *blush*. I truly feel I was very lucky getting this moment on 'film'. I Hope I can take some more good pictures in the future as well! Yes, it could be fun to enter it - though I'm sure competition is very hard, it would be exciting. Your experience with other peopleagain reflects how my wife reacts, and I'm sure it is very common.

Dustin, I really appreciate your comments as well! I will certainly try to play with levels. As I mentioned earlier, I did very quick adjustments, so I'm certain there is some gain in playing in photoshop. The weekend I borrowed the camera, I was babysitting my daughter alone (my wife was out of town) - so I followed her around with the camera. A lot of shots, mostly the typical smiling faces ones, but I tried for some other shots, and this was probably the best one I managed to capture. Very exciting hobby, and I will be buying a dSLR asap..

To everyone who has commented, thank you soo much for helping out a newbie at this! It certainly reinforces my newfound interest in photography! I think this is a fantastic forum, and looking at other posts, I see that some of you help a lot of people. It is very much appreciated. Once I feel more confident and experienced, I will certainly do the same to help out in the community. Also, I may of course be asking for your opinons on other pictures! :-)

Thanks again!

-Tom

Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:12 AM   #10

tomes wrote:
Quote:
Aladyforty, I'm very flattered by your kind words *blush*. I truly feel I was very lucky getting this moment on 'film'. I Hope I can take some more good pictures in the future as well! Yes, it could be fun to enter it - though I'm sure competition is very hard, it would be exciting.

"photo of the day Comp" is pretty hard competition but you have to be in to win so they say. Ive entered many times but never got anywhere. Still, I enter on and off in the hope that I will get a chance at the prizes:-)