Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:33 PM   #1

Now I'm almost a week old owner of new camera Nikon 8700 model. I took a second try and I will show only one picture in order not to bore you too much, but just to have a critique and smart suggestions.

First, I only made a "crop" and compression of pictures for better downloading. The pictures were taken for complete man to be seen. The "crop" is not so bad I think.

Second, I made a picture with visible noise at the closer zoom-not good. The weather was cloudy and it was it 6:30 PM a litle dark. I use scene portait mode without any additional adjustments-or should I. Also the picture is a little bit dark I think-not good- and while making in PSD auto level adjustments the picture get even darker-not good again-... and lot more.

For now I use various scene modes for shooting. Seams that is not enough and additional adjustments should be taken but this is not yet easy for me.

That is why i send you the pictures without any PSD adjustments in order to receive from you specified reply what should I do different.:? thanks
Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

my first advice to you is to get off of the scene modes.. its time for you to be taking control and not the camera!

my advice is to learn to use the Av (aperture priority mode).. this will allow you to control depth of field (or the area of the scene that is in focus).. this will allow you considerably more creative control..

ok, now that you are using Av.. when taking a picture, it is nearly always advisable to use an open aperture (this is designated by a smaller F-value, i.e. 2.8 is more open than 5.6).. this open aperture will blur the background and make your main subject(s) stand out more..

as you can see in this picture, the camera did not select an aperture that is open enough, thus the shed in the background is still quite in focus and is distracting from your main elements..

also always keep the background in mind.. just blurring it is not enough.. you should strive for a uniform background.. uniform in color and uniform in texture.. this will allow the blurred background to be smooth and not have competing levels of brightness and contrast.. in your shot, the contrast between the sky and the building in the background is distracting and pulls focus away from the subjects..

another general rule is to always focus on the eyes.. here they aren't really looking at you, which they should be in a shot like this.. and watch expressions, these are a little awkward..

posing- these guys are a little straight on, i would have had them leading with a shoulder of something to give them a little more depth.. you can maybe leave the behind the back pose but have them facing each other slightly or something, idunno, just play with it..

if you find yourself shooting with a strong backlight, or in shade.. a burst of fill flash will be helpful, it will also get you some nice catchlights in the eyes.. flash exposure comp this to about -1 1/3 to keep the flash from dominating..

in photoshop, a little sharpening can always go a long way, as well asa bit of levels adjustment and saturation boost.. how much will vary from shot to shot..

alright, that is probably enough for right now.. like they say, practice, practice, practice.. :-)

thanks for sharing, and look forward to tracking your development... -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:12 PM   #3

This is what I call a REPLY.

Thanks Dastin, I really appriciate every word you send and I do not just read and the words just cross through my mind, I read for the time that I need to understand complitely the bottom and the topof the topic. After understanding, the practice will follow.

Thanks once again
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:12 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd suggest that you look for things that may be distracting when composing an image. For example, the light growing from one of the officer's heads in your photo. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:22 PM   #5

Yes, right call, I did not see that at all.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

nice catch jim.. :-)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 2:34 AM   #7

In addition to above conversation during same day I made also this picture:

I just try to make a simple picture with some friends at home with camera on AUTO everything.Another not good attempt. I was surprice to have not good picture taking into consideratin that shooting was in 3x4m room with lights turned on and flash from the camera with distanceof 1.8m on a little tripod and the complete girl was taken into picturebut just "crop" in PSD later.

What I get: again noise, not sharp, colors :sad:, ...

I thought that in this simple situation complete auto modewill satisfied me but didn't. Maybe i should come a little closer during shooting.

At least the shooting angle wasn't so bad and she looks very beautifull on picture...so I think

Attached Images

Old Aug 21, 2005, 2:40 AM   #8

Another with different crop
Attached Images