Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:41 PM   #1

not shooting in auto anymore...love some feedback.
Attached Images

julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

ok.. two major problems here julie..

first, is the shadow (from you?).. over the middle part of the flower.. you really have to be aware of where you and other objects are in relation to the sun, a misplaced shadow can really ruin a shot..

the other problem i have is that you have selected too open of aperture.. or too small of Fstop #.. this has limited your depth of field to a point where its too small to encompass the whole flower.. one must keep in mind that for a given aperture, so take 5.6 for example, the depth of field (or area in focus) will decrease as you get closer to the object and increase as you get further away.. therefore, for closeup shots, you often have to use a more narrow aperture to get the whole object in question in focus.. this goes against your natural instincts to try to blur the background.. but even at some of these larger apertures (say f8 or so) you will still get that background bur you are looking for..

the composition is pretty good, i like the way you have it offset and are not just shooting straight at your subject.. however, i often feel that if you wish to offset your objects and leave some "empty space" the normal or horizontal format usually works best..

you are definately on the right track here.. a few more tries at this and you will be seeing some very nice images.. keep practicing and keep sharing..

best regards, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:59 AM   #3

thanks for your comments dustin, the shadow isn't me...the flowers were on my counter in a patch of sun, just caught my eye. i understand what you are saying about dof/aperature, i will be more mindful....however, a lot of times i think i'm going for a more abstract feel and not everything needs to be in focus for me. that being said...this one may not be abstract enough, nor sharp enough so i'll try to revisit that today.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:25 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i agree with what you said, not every shot needs to be sharp throughout.. but i think this one, as you say, is a bit inbetween... if you are going for an abstract look, you have to go all the way, so to speak..
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:27 PM   #5
Super Moderator

BTW- what camera/lens combo are you using and have available?
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

i am using a nikon D70 with the 18-70 zoom it came with.¬* i have other lenses i've been using from my N70 (a tamron 70-300macro), with this sunflower i used the 18-70zoom, but i hand held my nikon 6T close up filter in front.¬* i need to get a proper macro i suppose .if you want to check out some of my other flower shots¬* (from the N70- film/scanned) they are at http://flickr.com/photos/jandimin/
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:13 PM   #7
Super Moderator

if you are going to be doing any abstract type art flora photography.. there is no substitute for a true macro to get up close enough.. actually the vivitar/phoenix 100mm macro is surprisingly sharp for 130$$.. don't expect good build quality or fast AF, but its macro, so manual focus it and don't drop it.. you will also need a sturdy tripod, once you get down to the working distances ininches, all camera shake will be magnified...
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:29 PM   #8

thanks for the tip dustin, i can afford that .¬* i put the 70-300 on the D70 but there seems to be a lot of noise in the images....is that because of the lens itself or my shooting?
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:12 PM   #9
Super Moderator

its probably your shooting.. you are either using too high of ISO, or you are underexposing your shots too much..