Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:52 AM   #1

Here is my first bird photo having a swim.

Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL,Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed )1/500, Av 5.6,Evaluative Metering, ISO Speed100, Lens70.0 - 300.0mm, Focal Length 300.0mm and White Balance Mode Daylight

Critique please.

Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:28 AM   #2

All a bit soft Aumma45.

Definitely needs a kick up the contrast to bring out the bird and table !

I like the 'regal' pose of the bird and while you have the background blurred sufficiently, I find the leaves a little distracting, they keep dragging my eyes away.

Dodging them may help, but as they are so dominant, it may look better without them. But then that would leave too miuch space to the left :?. Try dodging first.

My effort at bringing the bird and table to life.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 2:20 PM   #3
Super Moderator

you were shooting this in true manual mode? or was it in aperture or shutter priority?

besides steve's advice.. your white balance is a bit off.. AWB is usually better than trying to choose daylight/shadow, etc unless you are purposefully trying to warm up or cool down a scene.. the best of course is custom white balance...

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4

Thanks Stevekin,

Actually the bird is on a water fountain. I decided to improve following your advice. I had to wait for the bird to take a bath. Below are a series of photos.

I have had to enhance the contrast to bring out the colours and crop out some of the left potion that were dark and detracting. I did not pay much attention to composition because everything happened so fast and the spot was tight: surrounded by building on all sides.

When I appeared, the bird took notice of me. So he paused bathing.
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:40 AM   #5

Stevekin

Thanks for making me see the difference on the enhanced photo. See is know what difference to make. About the softness, I think it was my mistake. But know that the advise given is valuable. On this basis I can see a definite improvement in my photos.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:52 AM   #6

Dustin,

I have not yet learnt to use the custom balance but thanks for pointing it out to me. Will practice from now onwards. Usually on my camera, I use either P mode or Manual. In the picture just posted I used Shutter priority mode for the first time. I wanted to have control over the exposure speed.

Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:54 AM   #7

He ignored me and continued bathing. What do you think?:-)
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2005, 5:01 PM   #8

With so much to learn, especially when you move up to something like your 350D, it is quite often easier to concentrate on getting to grips with fewer functions at a time, so perhaps for now it may help you to do as Dustin suggested and leave the white balance to the camera (Auto). Just until you become accustomed tosettingwhite balance yourself.

Both of these are looking a lot better . It's good that you caught the splashes of water too.

I found that a minor levels adjustment and a shadow/highlight adjustment helped, but only ever so slightly. The vast majority of us will need to process our images to some degree, so don't be too concerned at how your images look straight out of the camera.

It appears you are moving in the right direction though andI look forward to seeing more.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:15 AM   #9

Thanks folks for thesupport. Will keep working at it.