Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1

Ok folks,

I'm pretty much a complete newbie at photography. I've been practicing for a little over a month, and am now confident enough to set up most of my shots manually. We took a trip to SeaWorld Orlando yesterday, and this was probably my favorite shot. I'm interested in getting some feedback as to what I did wrong, right, how I can improve, etc. I really want to learn, and what better way than taking pointers from people who know a lot more than I do!
Attached Images

The F Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:08 PM   #2

I am unable to offer a critique here for you since I find this shot to be spectacular.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:21 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i missed this one somehow.. but it is a great action shot.. its sharp, the colors look great and you had plenty of shutter speed..

i am going to nitpick for the sake of it.. but i wish the diver was either up or down a little bit, since that pole behind him is the same color as his shirt.. once again, only a nitpick..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4

this is a great shot. maybe some saturation boost will help it out. i hope you don't mind but i messed around w/ it a little bit. might be too much, but i boosted the colors a little...it brought the woodgrain color out of the background and i selected the guy and did a levels adjustment on him to bring him out from the background and lighten him up a little.

i have deleted the file from my computer. hope you didn't mind.

-jon rowe
Attached Images

jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Super Moderator

yea.. thats just a bit much, esp in the red channel..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:49 PM   #6

thanks
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:57 AM   #7

i love shamu.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8

It wouldn't be all that difficult to remove that pole and/or bunting, bringing out the diver a bit more.

Great picture, by the way.
Imawingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:01 PM   #9

It a great photo. However, I wish the diver was illuminated much better. Please tell us what camera you were using?

An external slave flash held in an outstretched left hand would have nicely lighted the diver. It is a technique that I have found that really works easily.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:17 PM   #10

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
It a great photo. However, I wish the diver was illuminated much better. Please tell us what camera you were using?

An external slave flash held in an outstretched left hand would have nicely lighted the diver. It is a technique that I have found that really works easily.

Sarah Joyce
First, I'd like to thank all who have responded. It's good to know that I'm doing something right! I would have liked to have gotten the diver in a better position, but the entire sequence from start to finish lasted only a second and a half (if that). Given that, I'm happy that I even got the shot. As far as a slave flash goes.....would it have helped given the fact that we were sitting 75 yards away in the 25th row? The picture was taken with a Digital Rebel camera and a 70-300mm lense. (1/2000 and f4.0).
The F Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote