Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 1, 2005, 7:35 AM   #1

Here are two more from the apocalypse series
Attached Images

johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2005, 7:37 AM   #2

Church doors. These are two of my most popular photos (that aren't flowers or creatures).
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2005, 7:47 AM   #3

they are both very striking images. i love the top one, it is strong yet ethereal at the same time. great textures and details, very nice.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:20 AM   #4

I agree, both pictures are great. The first one is a lovely shot. Everything about the composition interests me, although the light streaming in from the top left is quite bright. Is this the effect you were going for? The second strikes me as interesting because of the different colored doors. Nice.
330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Super Moderator

i really like shot #1... the conversion you have given it definately works.. its got a near infraredish feel to it that i love... and i think the bright light streaming in on this shot works, at least for this particular image..

be proud of this image.. i think it conveys exactly what you were going for and is very interesting to look at..

i like the conversion on #2, great contrast, but lacks the overall impact of shot #1.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:43 PM   #6

Love shot #1. Really atmospheric and it just *works* for me very well. I'd probably darken the shadows a bit more though just for that extra bit of punch.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:12 AM   #7

Thanks all for your replies.

The overexposed tree was on purpose. The idea behind the series is: you wake up to find you are the only one left. Kind of like the 28days movie thing, but without zombies. The church doors do not exactly match the mood in the other two photos, but still fit in the series as a whole due to the feeling it does envoke. The church has degraded and forgotten somewhat (that is what the doors should convey), and then the world ends, as the doors are first in the series. The tomb was shot 150 years after the death of the individual, to the day. We didn't realize it (myself and a model) until we reviewed the photos.

Here is another from the series.
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:26 AM   #8

I wish you had added this caption with your pictures. They complete the story. The more I look at the overexposed tree and the picture as a whole, I like the effect you were going for. The 28 Days Later movie was eerie and your pics most def evoke the same feeling from me, now that you mention it. As for the doors, what a coincidence! Maybe the ghost was drawing you into taking this one for a reason. ooooh....
330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:52 PM   #9

I don't think that I am qualified enough to comment 'pofessionally' on any photos on here yet... but I love the car photo... I do love classic american cars and that is one great example.

The only thing that I would have done would be to clone out the 3weeds that are at the front of the car across the bumper.
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 6:58 AM   #10

I could see your point somewhat in cloning the weeds. However, you have to understand my "vision" in this series. No one (except the viewer) has survived, there is no one to maintain anything, this is why decay is important. Therefore, the weeds are just as important in making it look abandoned and forgotten. Perhaps it would look better, I will try to clone them, and we'll see. Thanks for your reply, and time.