Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:03 PM   #1

I try to make some advertizing material for a friend of mine which has a private shop.

This is my suggestion. There is a picture taken with my camera and some photoshop assembly to put some lights behind.

Please send your comments or critiques and suggestion ofcourse, I will appriciate them very much.

used parameters:

1/4s f2.8 ISO 50flash on focal lenght: 8.9mm
Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

This is a very good, creative product shot. I like it very much, and only have a couple small criticisms/ suggestions.

First, the highlights on the bag are a bit too bright. If you could soften the flash, or use natural light to reduce the reflections, it would improve it.

Secondly, the text at the top may need to be a little brighter to give it more punch, but that is more in the way of a judgement call.

How will the picture be displayed? You may want to add a border to give it a sharper definition from its surroundings.

Again, very nice work.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:27 AM   #3

thanks for reply.

The bagflash-shine was even lighter but I change with the one from another shot of the same picture -on that picture the beg was good but the coffee was to dark- but in global I always make shots that one part is excellent and another not good why I must assembly them in photoshop. So, nothing big coulnt be done to beg flash-light.

Considering the font color maybe should be ligher.

I'm still thinking about the colors ant contrast in global. Are there something else to improve.

Also I'm asking myself how to make that orange light at the back to be while I shoot instead of making into photoshop. What do I need for that and how hard it is?

when I ask for comment I like more to have comments about quality of images and complete joint of colors and lights...ofcourse I would like to have also design comments since it is a parts of photographing.

thanks
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:02 PM   #4

I'm sending you photo with some additional changes and it seams to be better.

But I still await for your reply considering the contrast, color and light. Those parameters are still my number one proirity to acknowladge.

thanks
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:35 AM   #5

The colors work very well here. Using the yellow to orange to red gradient in the background picks up on the colors of the product for good ambiance. Overall contrast is good, but for advertising, maybe it should be somewhat sharper. Possibly use Unsharp Mask with radius around 10 pixels.

I like the steam rising from the cup as a silhouette of a nose. Makes me want some coffee right now. :-)

There may be a way to get the background light in the shot the way you want, but it would be a lot more complicated than with Photoshop. It would probably need a cloth backdrop of the dark red color, fading to white, and a soft spot with a gel filter of the yellow. Much simpler to shoot against a neutral b/g and use an editing program.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:51 AM   #6

Have you considered retaking a picture of just the package from the right angle with the lights changed so there is no highlights then composite that image back into the main ad. The color is good but maybe play with the font color and style, maybe a font that looks closer to the one on the packaging.

Maybe even a fun font. I threw a few things on this one.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:54 AM   #7

or like this maybe.
Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote