Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:32 PM   #1

What do you guys think?

Attached Images

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:34 PM   #2

I think it s very nice. I would trim a little off the bottom to get rid of the tip of the post though. It may not be possible, but would also try to get more to the left next time (if there is one) to try to avoid the sign on the right. Still nice.
johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:37 PM   #3

johnsmith wrote:
Quote:
I think it s very nice. I would trim a little off the bottom to get rid of the tip of the post though. It may not be possible, but would also try to get more to the left next time (if there is one) to try to avoid the sign on the right. Still nice.

Thanks! Unfortunetly, I cannot reshoot as this location is 700 miles from my home.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:00 PM   #4

Its a REALLY excellent shot! I've been out many many many times and not gotten an image this nice!

One suggestion (not an absolute truth) is... what about cropping it to a slightly different shape?

I cropped it in PS a little. How the ship lines up with the dock just sort of made a natural line for my eye.
Attached Images

Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:31 PM   #5

Just for fun I took the 600x400 image above and applied LCE on the entireimageand selective CM on the clouds, boat, and peir. What do you think? Unfortunetly I am at work and don't have access to the original right now to do it "right". THanks.

Interestingly I found that applying CM to clouds made the suset look much richer. Normally CM should bring out details left in the shadows but the way I did it here seems to enrich the sky as well. The change is subtle but noticable so compare with the first picture or the above cropped image. Compare especially the boat and the brightest part of the sunset and you will see the change.

NOTE: LCE = Local Contrast Enhancment, CM = Contrast Masking

Attached Images