Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:17 AM   #1

Thoughts are welcome!
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:14 AM   #2

wow, what a face ! i think this is a great shot, the only thing is the top of her head being cropped, bothers me. other than that i like the composition and of course, you captured a great expressive moment.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:57 AM   #3

Thanks, unfortunetly This above photo is the original aspect ratio so I can't do anything about the top of the head. The image originally had a tone of noise in it though (cloudy, ISO 400 on fuji S5100). I used Digital Deluxe Toolbox Action addapted to PSE 1.0 to remove noise (I don't want to pay for a noise removal program and since Picture Cooler isn't free anymore I can't use that).
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:08 AM   #4

I like it, good shallow depth of field.One thing though-when taking portraits holding the camera vertically will remove the empty space on the left and right. Portraits can be taken horizontally but in this case vertically would of been nicer.
ffureel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:05 PM   #5

Good moment, great expression, but I feel it a little bit over-exposed. The background is well blured, however it distracts me a little.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

vertical format would have improved this composition alot... also, finding a smoother background would have been nice, and maybe a bit more blur.. you definately shoulnd't have cut off the top of the head.. and the left side of the face is too hot..

overall, this is more of a snapshot than a portrait which is fine for the family album, but not really what we are going for in this forum.. next time, take you're time and try to control as many elements as you can..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:04 PM   #7

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
vertical format would have improved this composition alot... also, finding a smoother background would have been nice, and maybe a bit more blur.. you definately shoulnd't have cut off the top of the head.. and the left side of the face is too hot..

overall, this is more of a snapshot than a portrait which is fine for the family album, but not really what we are going for in this forum.. next time, take you're time and try to control as many elements as you can..

Your right that this is more of a snap shot. I was looking through some photos I took while over a friends house and really thought the expression on this girls face was interesting. I will try a 'real' portait later.

By the way what type of lighting is best for portaits outside? (my camera does not have a hotshoe so I can't use external flashes). What about indoors?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:51 PM   #8
Super Moderator

outside in the sun.. find yourself some diffusedshade (such as a tree that blocks some of the light but lets some diffused light through).. set your subject up right inside the line of shade... this will allow the grass in the "Bright" areas to reflect some light up into your subjects face filling in the harsh shadows.. and the diffused light through the trees will take care of the rest.. set your flash to -2 fec and use it only for cathlights and a tiny bit of fill..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote