Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:43 PM   #11

ZAKD
Fantastic Picture. How do you take such Beautiful shots? What camera settings, etc.

You must be a Professional with loads of experience. All your photos are just Great!!

Thank you for sharing.

Divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:55 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Zak,

if you plan on doing much flash photography, i would consider purchasing an external flash for your hotshoe.. it will give you much more control over the flash output and direction.. it will take some time to learn, but once mastered, you will find that your shots are more natural looking and more flattering to your subjects..

keep shooting bud, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:03 AM   #13

Settings for this picture arebasic: 1/60s f3 ISO50 flash on and focal lenght 11.6mm. It was in the room with 30% of lightness.

For sure I should consider taking a special uppgrated flash since I use a lot of it. I do not have studio for specal light adjustments and shooting without flash is still a little bit not easy for me taking into consideration that I might loose a good position by trying something what i'm not good enough...but that is why I have your advices...

thanks and regards ZAK
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:31 AM   #14

Thank you for the good advice Zak.

I am a rank beginner and want to learn to take photos like you are doing. Any more suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.

Your pictures are Fantastic.

I am using a Nikon 8800. Any advice on the settings for different photos (inside, outside, people, nature) would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

divertwo

Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:43 PM   #15

ZakD,

What mode were you in..."AUTO", Portrait", or?

Also, what setting for the image size..."8mb" or? Explain to me the procedure from start to finish of the photo.

I don't mean to pester you, but I really want to learn to take photos like you do.

Much Respect,

divertwo
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:15 PM   #16
Super Moderator

divertwo..

for portraits with available light... i would choose the Av mode.. then choose the smallest # (largest aperture).. on the 8800 its probably in the 2.8-3.5 range.. so just pick the smallest number.. this will give you a shallow depth of field thus eliminating distractions in the background..

if you are shooting with your flash, probably best to stick with the "P" mode.. and then adjust your flash output.. you probably have a FEV button somewhere.. so take a shot, if the flash is too strong, dial it down -1/3 or so and try again..

always shoot in the largest file size.. probably something like superfine and 8mp.. or something close to that..

and practice, practice, practice... set up a subject and then shoot many of the same picture with different settings, and take notes, then go back through them on your computer and see what you like and don't like.. and try to do more of the things you like and less of the things you don't like..

best of luck to ya,
-dustin
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:10 PM   #17

Hey Dustin,

Thank you very much for the good information. I really do appreciate your help. I am dumbern' dirt on this camera, but I will not give up on it.

I will practice til' I get it right.

Any suggestions you have on how to take good pictures will be Greatlyappreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

divertwo

Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:50 PM   #18

Once again thanks for good acceptance of this photo I like it very much.

I wasn't using any mode since all of professionals from this forum teach me not to use modes. So I use all possible manual adjustments that I know to useup till now. That is why my pictures are not perfect but sill i'm trying to make them as good as possible.

For start they told me to start with learning of manual aperture adjustments which i follow so if helped me I suggest the same.

but in any case as Dustin explaned you lot of things do practice and practice as much as you can..........good luck with hopes to see some of your photos here on the forum....additional questions are welcome if you have.

regards Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:14 PM   #19

Hey ZAk,

What I was referring to was where the mode dial was when you took the photo. Was it set on "A" "M"or? Also, did you use the zoom, flash, etc? Take me through the process from start to finish....every setting. I know that is asking a lot, but I would really like to learn. Tell me some of the manual adjustments you used.

Thank you very much for your time and good instructions.

divertwo

Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:32 PM   #20
Super Moderator

btw- Av is "A"on your dial..