Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:48 PM   #1

This is my latest picture which I've taken and modify after in photoshop. I like the result very much. The camera was Nikon 8700 model.

Since I'm satisfied as amateur I'm wandering what the more expiriance people think-professionals too. Please give me your critique, suggestion...anything please.

Take into consideration that I learn very much on this forum and I bought the camera 1 month ago.

Thanks
Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:23 PM   #2

that is a big improvement over the other image! i think you did a good job.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:58 PM   #3

Very nice. The only thing I would do in futute is have the model put a little powder or something, there's a couple shiny spots (nose, forhead) that distract me a little.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:12 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the flash is a bit overpowering.. maybe next time dial in a bit less flash.. or have some more ambient light and just use the flash as fill...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:40 PM   #5

Yes, the highlights at the forehead and the end of her nose are a little overexposed.

Nice looking lady!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6

Yes i see the point of overexposing parts but the lesson of taking control of the flash-strenght i did not pass through yet.

On the other hand the colors of the clothes are as they were and the hair but consider the face if I reduce the brightness during shooting the face maybe would be ok but I will lose the color of the hair which will become more dark then it is and maybe the same will be with the clothes. Is there some middle point to have everything as perfect...I do not know...maybe in studio would...?

regards ZAK
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7

Yes she is good looking but maybe to young for the most people over 30 years-she is 20 years old....I'm 29 so it ok for me....
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:36 PM   #8

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
Yes i see the point of overexposing parts but the lesson of taking control of the flash-strenght i did not pass through yet.

On the other hand the colors of the clothes are as they were and the hair but consider the face if I reduce the brightness during shooting the face maybe would be ok but I will lose the color of the hair which will become more dark then it is and maybe the same will be with the clothes. Is there some middle point to have everything as perfect...
The direct flash creates excessive contrast that makes it look like, well, direct flash. You need softer light, either a diffuser like a lightsphere, or softbox, something like that; you can also get better shots by bouncing the flash off a white wall. Keep at it!

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:12 PM   #9
Super Moderator

does the 8700 have a flash hotshoe? anyone? i forget...

but if it does, an external flash would allow you to bounce and would allow you mount some of the diffusers and such... keep in mind this only works inside with a nice surface to bounce off of..

if you are working outside, choosing a brighter time of day would allow you to use that as your main source of light, which will be less contrasty and then you could just use a bit of flash to fill in the shadows.. look for open shade... so under a tree canopy that still lets some light filter through... place your subject just inside the shade line and let the light bouncing off the grass or whatever fill in the shadows.. then dial in -2 or so flash exposure comp and use it only for catchlights...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:54 AM   #10

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
does the 8700 have a flash hotshoe? anyone? i forget...
Yes Dustin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote