Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:23 PM   #1

Hi guys,

I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to all this photography stuff. But with some personal experimentation and these forums I've learned a LOT of cool things and lovin it more and more everyday!

Anyway, I recently bought a Canon 50mm lense (prime lense, I think? I know you can't zoom with it) and testing out low level lighting shots. While I'm somewhat satisfied with the outcome, I know there's room for improvement. I'd very much like your suggestions on how I can improve this shot.

Here are the settings:

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT (the dial is set to Tv)

1/125 sec / f1.8 / ISO 1600 / Flash: Not Fired

The only light source is from a computer monitor. I know one improvement would be to use a tripod (and of course buying a better lense), but strictly working with the equipment I have... anyone want to offer up any suggestions? I'd certainly appreciate it.
Attached Images

Ronnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:34 PM   #2

I like the image that's there, but it's incomplete.
There should be something in the black to the left of the face to give a bit more "context" to the face, to give it a reason for being where it is. I just get the feeling of waiting for a more complete image.
Technically, the face is pretty good. I like the way that it sort of drifts off into the blackness, but there needs to be another element -- maybe a sliver of the monitor screen...
If you cropped the shot so that the face dominates the frame more than it does, it might support the photo by itself.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:28 AM   #3
Super Moderator

you need more light buddy! even in low light situations you still need to get a properly exposed pic and this one is just way too dark...

if you are looking for a soft directional light, try a window, with our without some sheer curtains.. and then get some eye contact and lose the phone.. try out various poses and with varying angles to the window.. take notes of what you are doing with each shot.. then, when you see your results onscreen, you can see what you did right and what you did wrong, thus enhancing the learning process.. oh yea, have fun doing it!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 4:14 AM   #4

I think this is good. I like it. It requires a bit of imagination from the viewer, but that ok. Its subjective but I like your composition. Its soft attractive and original. The lighting is not whatall would normally expect, but I don't think its necessarily poor. You could play about with it and come up with many different results, however if you like it thus, then leave it. To me it shows a lot of artistic imagination. The comment about the picture being incomplete my be resolved somewhat with a tighter crop. Have a play with the crop tool and see if you find something that helps frame this fade to background image a little better.

Quote:
Anyway, I recently bought a Canon 50mm lense (prime lense, I think? I know you can't zoom with it)

You can zoom with all lenses.... haha, you simply move a little closer or a little back, and as if by magic the image has changed....hee heeonly pulling your leg.:blah:

Hards, jee your a hard worker on this site. How much timedoyou spendon here. About time we saw more of your hard work too, if you pardon the pun.. got anything in the pipeline for us ?
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:35 AM   #5

i like the overall feel of this image, but i have to agree with dustin. the phone is very distracting and seems to be more in focus and better exposed than anything else. window light can give you beautiful images, play around with it.*hey, dustin i'm waiting to see some new postings from you too
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:42 AM   #6
Super Moderator

LB and Julie- thanks for the encouragement.. things have been crazy both in my personal and professional life that have kept me from shooting for quite a while.. the next few weeks should start to settle down and i will be back to shooting again..
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:39 PM   #7

Well, I dunno...I kinda like it! If we didn't know what the source of the light was, we'd be wondering why she's sitting in the dark...who is she talking to....what is she thinking...is she happy? sad?...what's going on? I like the way she's facing in to the 'nothingness'. I guess it all depends on how we want to look at it. After all, we're not all shooting fashion shots. This one is more 'real life' The only thing that bothers me is the light on her arm and the highlights on her nose...that's what I find distracting.I think for the amount of light available for this shot, it's not too bad of a shot. It actually looks as though she is facing a window light instead of a monitor.

Just my 2 cents... :-)

StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:22 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i guess i was outvoted on this one!! cheers to you all... when i first saw it, i thought of surveilance video or somethin and i can't get it out of my head!! must have ruined it for me..
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:36 PM   #9

Thanks guys for your feedback. This was one of those candid shots of my sister talking to her "boyfriend" on the phone -- right before she realized I was taking the shot and kicked me out of her room.

I think the image is just a little grainy. I know I've seen this effect when I crop an image too much. But this wasn't cropped at all. What could I have done to make the image more crisp? I guess a better lense maybe?

I'll be purchasing a new lense this weekend. My budget is $1,200. I'm thinking I can get a nice entry "L" series lense around that range. Any suggestions?
Ronnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:12 PM   #10
Super Moderator

with that budget you could almost pull a 17-40L and a 70-200 4L..

or you could look into the 24-70 or newer 24-105