Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:37 PM   #1

I don't usually do colorization, but it seemed to fit this particular photograph. What do you think?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:14 PM   #2
Super Moderator

its seems a bit out of place to me.. since the flower is not really a subject, nor is it attached to a subject, it seems to draw ones eyes away from the two girls..

i would also work on the conversion some.. you need quite a bit more contrast on this shot.. i recommend some work with 'levels' and 'curves' at least.. and the channel mixer would be nice if you are familiar with it..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:14 AM   #3

Hards,

Sorry I don't mean to always contradict, but what would you say was the point of interest in this shot ?

There seems to be many.Therefore there may be an allowance to selectively choose one to link a story too, or to direct the viewer. I think the colourization provides a focus and a link with the scene. I see a link with :

1. the general scene - element of poverty - ie the bare feet

2. the bucket of flowers. - brought to life with colour

and then with,

3. the calm smile on the girls face.

This shows a very different world to the one we are used to. But are the people that very different ? I'm not so sure. Then again mayby they are more contented than we.
John,
Anyway I quite like it. It wont win prizes, but I'm sure that wasn'tthe intention anyway. You have made the attempt to find something in an otherwise fairly cluttered shot.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:15 AM   #4

Thank you both for your comments. I would have preferred the image to be a little simpler, but I do disagree about the flowers not being a subject. A place like Mumbai (formerly Bombay) India is not like anywhere in the U.S. - especially in Monsoon season, it is a very dreary and drab place. Seeing children in no shoes selling flowers on the side of the street makes it even more dreary. The flowers really were a stark contrast. I wish I had more time to better frame the shot, but such is life. I will take another look at the contrast though. Thanks for the insights

LBoy is right on one count - the Indian people are definitely more content than we are - I was there when they had the worst flooding in 100 years - thousands dead. People lost everything (sound familiar to recent U.S. events?) - the difference is the same people that lost all their posessions were working the next day - AND WERE HAPPY - their family was alive and that was all that was important. No drama, just back to life - amazing! (Side note - I am not trying to trivialize what people in New Orleans went through so please don't flame me for these comments - just pointing out a difference I noticed in viewing two very similar events in two very different places).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Super Moderator

LB-
by all means please contradict away, it makes for much more interesting discussion than just blind agreement i think the contradiction usually comes as i seem to prefer a much simpler and often classiccomposition, but like any art, different strokes for different folks..

i can definately appreciate that the flower could be a good focus and link within the scene.. it just almost keeps drawing me back to it and not allowing me to appreciate the whole scene...

i was in a hurry when i first commented, and usually then i only comment on what i think could be improved when rushed.. but i didnt mean to imply i didnt enjoy the shot.. because i think it does a nice job in conveying the emotions that you intended.. the bare feet, the expression, the bike in the background, the overall feel to the shot.. so overall the shot really works well for me, i just wanted it in pure mono (call me old-fashioned)..

cheers,
-d

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:47 PM   #6

I have to agree with LBoy. I think the coloured flowers really make the story for this shot.

You have the serenity of the girl on the left hand side with the child, which in a traditional photographical sense is the first thing you will look at. It's quite a peaceful image and it is easier to dismiss the rest of the shot. The colour of the flowers drags your eye to the ground level and the poverty while also contrast the two different worlds of a flowery contented world we are used to to the poor conditions these people live in.

I think that adding some noise might help the feeling of a shot.I'm still learning how to use photoshop, so I'm sure this could be done much better.
Edit - Actually my edit could do with alot more noise.

Buceph

Attached Images

Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote