Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:24 AM   #1

I haven't posted in this forum in a long time and thought I should make a contribution. This was recently taken from the Meiji Temple in Tokyo. Visitors would make a donation, select a prayer and wrap their prayers on these racks.

Equipment: Leica Digilux 2, f/4.5, 1/160 sec.
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

its a good compostion.. but the hot spots are a lilttle distracting.. i doubt there was much to be done with it as it appears you had some very strong sidelighting..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:14 AM   #3

davephoto wrote:
Quote:
I haven't posted in this forum in a long time and thought I should make a contribution. This was recently taken from the Meiji Temple in Tokyo. Visitors would make a donation, select a prayer and wrap their prayers on these racks.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/imagine/Paper_Prayers

Just a couple of quibbles; the Meiji Jingu is traditionally rendered as the Meiji Shrine; by convention, the word "temple" is reserved for Buddhist facilities. Also these are not prayers, but fortunes. People pay 100 yen and pick a fortune (various means of drawing lots are used), and after reading the fortune, they tie it to tree limbs (frowned upon), or other places around the shrine.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:15 PM   #4

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
davephoto wrote:
Quote:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/imagine/Paper_Prayers

Just a couple of quibbles; the Meiji Jingu is traditionally rendered as the Meiji Shrine; by convention, the word "temple" is reserved for Buddhist facilities. Also these are not prayers, but fortunes. People pay 100 yen and pick a fortune (various means of drawing lots are used), and after reading the fortune, they tie it to tree limbs (frowned upon), or other places around the shrine
Many thanks for clarifying, Norm. I appreciate your edification.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/imagine/Paper_Fortune

(Note: the link has been replaced with one to a photo which doesn't have the bit of sun relection off the steel rack which, I felt, tainted the original picture somewhat.)

Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
its a good compostion.. but the hot spots are a lilttle distracting.. i doubt there was much to be done with it as it appears you had some very strong sidelighting..
I was bothered by the flare as well. I logged in preparing to make a replacement when I saw your post. Glad to see we are in agreement.

Dave
Old Sep 25, 2005, 8:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i like the new shot alot.. the selective focusing and the nice and colorful background work well for this type of shot..

my only quibble is that the paper is almost dead center in the frame, i would have preferred it on a 1/3 line, prefferably the closest (left).. but still, its a good shot..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote