Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:03 AM   #1

A little different from the last, but using the same techneque... let me know if you like this.

Regards
Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:09 AM   #2

That's really nice; i dig it!

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3

Very nice...........very creative!!

Good job!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:36 AM   #4

Very nice...........very creative!!

Good job!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Super Moderator

yup, this one works for me as well.. good sense of motion, good "storyline".. excellent technique..

i think i preferred the last one as the subjects were traveling "out of frame" a tad more.. but thats just a personal preference thing..

----------------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:08 PM   #6

Very effective. Great job!:-)
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:26 PM   #7

Nice shot. The only problem I have with it is the same as I had with the previous shot. The style is so interesting that you are cluttering the impact by having more than one focal point beyond the blur. Having only one person would makeit more artistic. In my humble opinion.How do you take these shots? What's the setup?
Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:19 PM   #8

nice point of view...but...the red door is breacking the continuity...
mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:05 AM   #9

mad_grll and TD-7900

I thought about the red door. Kept it in as it is an effective barrier betweenthe peoplein the story I have added to this shot with the text... All just for fun. The story is totally made up. There were many others in the carriage too. The guy is a colleague of mine and I told him to read his book. Come to think of it, he probable was thinking about the women in the train and just pretending to read.... hee hee, Still, in the endyou can do what you want with photography ... :-)

But yes, if I was presenting this without the text I would take out the red door.

Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:38 AM   #10

Buceph

Whats the set up you ask....

Oh secrets secrets my precious.... hahaha.

Actually this again is dead easy techneque..... I set the camera to f8 initially. Also to manual focus. Sitting near the window of the train I focus outof the window on the ground on the outside about 6 m from the train. Each time you depress the shutter release you will be given an indication in the form of green light that you are indeed still focused in the right area/band. Really its not overly important as with this kind of shot its not about getting a sharp image, it all abstract. What you really want to do is try to reinforce your position as well as possible as you want a reasonably clear shot of the train interior reflections which can be quite hard in a moving train between0.5 - 2 seconds shutter.

Camera on full manual. As I say you are looking to get anything between0.5 and 2 seconds shutter speed in order to blur the outside trees. The pictures work best when the train is traveling through a tree lined track with good to high canopy.As the train is moving in and out of bright light to darker areas with more dense trees, you are playing with the aperture dial constantly adjusting in order to maintain something between 0.5-2 seconds. Camera is on multiple exposure and you just take shot after shot after shot. The reason its best with a tree lined background is 1 - the colour effect and 2 - it allows more detail in the reflected scene of the train that is being superimposed in the photograph.

Position yourself in a place on the train where you can get an interesting photograph. Its cool actually cos no one actually knows that you are really taking a photograph of them. After all the camera is pointing out of the window. hee hee. Still you get some funny looks after taking 100 shots click click click click click looking at about 30 down-wards 45 degrees to the window of a moving train andkeepinfg very stillfor 15 mins.

ok then. When you get home, empty your bag of tricks onto the computer to see what you have got. You will find lots that look like rubbish. Washed out, over exposed and blurred images. Look for one with reasonable inside reflection detain and one with little to no blown out sky detail. ie one with more tree moving blur. You should see light streaks though they will be white and not green like in my shot.

I will post the image of my pre manipulated file -- ie out of camera, just to show you what you are looking for and so you understand how much you can actually push in RAW. You wont believe the difference in the two images I bet.

Always shot in RAW. Now we play with the RAW file. To make the green tone is simply a case of playing with temp and tone till it looks right. Push the shadows slider way up to bring forward all the reflection of train interior up. Boost the contrast and the saturation to your tastes.

Save and come out of RAW to Tiff file. Then its up to you if you still want to play around with levels/ shadow/highlight/ contrast etc. Crop to a nice composition and maybe add a nice frame.

And thats it.... simple. :blah:

Give it a try, and let me see how you get on. Mine were done on the way home from work and I had no idea what i was doing prior to it building into a final image. Its all about experimentation.

Take care.