Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:13 AM   #1

Folks I don't know why I took this picture but I shot in because I thought it made an abstract subject. If you can make sense of it that will be fine but then say something about it. There is an evening light falling on the wall.

Sorry folks, I deleted this photo and had to repost it.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:14 AM   #2

It doesn't do much for me.

Maybe because the abstract composition doesn't follow any rules, like 3rds, parallelism or whatever.

Maybe study some abstract art and find out why some of it works and some of it doesn't.

If it all worked all the time, we'd all be Jackson Pollock, earning millions of dollars for a few hours work.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:57 AM   #3

Thanks Terry for having a look!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:21 PM   #4

I kinda like it. I don't think I'd buy it for my wall, but I love the colors and the composition is easy on my eyes. I would crop off the stuff at the bottom, especially that blue and white thing.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:52 PM   #5

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
I kinda like it. I don't think I'd buy it for my wall, ...

Thanks G35Guy, that quote was really funny. It kinda cheer me up.I made the improvements you suggested and cranked the colours up, unfortunately in the process of posting the new improvements I deleted the old one. Those viewingfor the first time won'tbe able to see the new differences.

It is true my dreams are to reach the heights of Jackson Pollock but I doubt it that he woke up one morning and he was Jackson Pollock the photographer. He walked up the stairs one step at a time and it people like you who are going to help me to get there. Thanks again G35guy.

Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:50 AM   #6

What caught my eye were the colors and contrast. I basically like the composition, but felt there was something not quite fitting in. The basics in the picture are geometrical, and to me, the soft shadows on the right and top tend to take away from that. The bowl and plate fit with this composition, so I would leave them in.

I hope you don't mind, but I gave it a bit of a crop, and shifted the hue slightly and increased the saturation just a bit. Easier to show sometimes than explain.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:16 PM   #7

Thanks Brian for the critique. One thing I am increasingly learning onthe forum is that there are myriad of tastes when it comes to photography. But all these is good for me because it is a learning experience.

I thought of cropping the off the shadow;I am glad you did it. I would go with the new picture.

Your comments are always welcome.