LT7

One of my first few pictures with the KM Maxxum 7D

sorry folks still learning
Attached Images

LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i think this could be improved with alittle more background blur (use A mode and choose smallest number) and a lower perspective.. also a little unsharp mask could make this one a little sharper..

good first effort though, look forward to more..

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:25 AM   #3
LT7

Thanks, will try that on some others. I was shooting in A mode, but was only using f5.6. I appreciate the tip. What do you think of this picture?...

LT
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:40 PM   #4

The composition of the second one is great. The bee and flower look a little too soft to me. I'm sure Dustin (Hards80) can give you more specific advice to work on that. Look forward to seeing more photos as you get to know your camera.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:27 AM   #5
LT7

Thank you, I appreciate that. Will see about getting more pictures out there.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Administrator

Congratulations on your 7D.

It's antishake should come in very handy to help with camera shake if you need to use smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers) for macros.

But, keep an eye on shutter speeds, as antishake won't work miracles if they get *too slow* from using smaller apertures.

What ISO speed was the first photo taken at? The EXIF is showing 7040 (not a valid setting) for some strange reason. Something in your workflow (probably your editor) may have misintrepeted the ISO speed in the image.

I also see a 35mm equivalent focal length of 7136mm stored in it. LOL

Did you convert it from raw using an editor that may not fully support the 7D? If so, it may have thought the image came from a different Minolta model and stored the EXIF info incorrectly.

BTW, in this Critiques and Techniques Forum, we prefer that only one image to be critiqued is posted in a thread.

This helps to keep the discussion focused on a specific image.

You'll see this in the Forum Guidelines. See thissentencefrom Guideline #4:

Quote:
4. Please post only one image per thread...this will allow each image to be judged on it's own merits and keeps the thread on topic.
Don't worry, lots of members miss it. I should probably figure out a way to make it more obvious.

We don't mind if you post a different version of the same image in response to critique (for example, here it is processed or cropped differently). But, if you have more than one image you want critiqued, we'd prefer you start a different thread for each one.

I hope we'll see more images from your 7D soon!

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:05 PM   #7
LT7

THANKS! I really like the camera. I grew up using a Minolta X-700and so was real excited when they came out with the 7D. I'm still learning to use the camera, and the software that came with it, and hope to get good with it. I've been looking in to getting Adobe Photoshop Elements or better, but haven't decided yet on that. When I get independently wealthy, then this will not be an issue, I will also get the Maxxum 5d, just to have it.

The first shot was taken at ISO 100, and if I remember correctly it was at 100mm focal length(28-100 kit lens from my Maxxum 70 date). You are correct about the editor I used toResize this picture. I used the editor that came bundled with my HP printer to resize it, and had to do it about 4 times to get the proper size. I have a lot to learn about processing my pictures.

I willremember to only post one image per thread in the future. Thanks for all the advice, and info.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:06 PM   #8

The bee one is really a good effort. Very close to a homer. Really tough shot to get. Certainly better than my collection. I have stalked these little buggers all over hill and dale, still haven't got a really crsip shot. Unbeelievably hard to get the focus and hit the shutter in time before they drift off out of focus. Good work.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:02 PM   #9
LT7

Thank you for your kind words, sir. I was very excited when I got that picture. Looking forward to seeing some of your pics. Have a great day.