Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:47 AM   #1
daz

This is the photos I took 2 nights later. It is 3 photos in 3 layers blended together. The main part of the tower and the stars is at 4 sec. This should be 2 stops slower at 16 sec but at 4 sec the Moon is causing a big flare in the tower. At 16 sec the flaring is so bad that the contrast in the tower goes down so I have to live with 4 sec. The next layer is the lighted bell area. This is at 1 sec. The 3[suP]rd[/suP] layer is the bright part of the Moon and the sky. About 10 pixels on the Moon are blown but that is a small enough area not the have to care about. This is close to what I saw with my eyes but it still looks off to me. May be it is because the contrast between the light and the dark is so much that I am not used to seeing it in a photo.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:51 AM   #2

Very interesting presentation! I like it! The others can help with technical stuff but for me, just seeing it as a photo, it is very appealing.

Nice work,

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3

I like it too... good to read the explanation!

polarwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:33 PM   #4
daz

Thanks for the positive comments. I did think that I would get some comments pointing out difficulties but positive comments are always good. Usually when I put this much work into a photo I don't like what I get. Mostly this is because what I get is not all that good but also because I see all the flaws from working on it so closely. But I keep trying. I learn a little each time and (I think) I get a little better. With this photo I know where the flaws are but they all look small to me. To be sure I asked to see if any one would jump on them. Because it looks like no one has I guess I have worked my way up to competent. Next target I will try to work up to good. Thanks again.

DAZ
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:56 AM   #5

Nice attempt. Something about the image is not clicking though.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:00 AM   #6
daz

Yes, that is my felling too. I was hoping that someone could tell me what.

DAZ
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7

it is a cool picture, but does defy my sense of logic a bit. Its looks almost CGI, perhaps because of the lighting and knowing that I could never get that exposure in one pic. (That might be saying more about my skills) It also looks a bit like the POV is off for the tower. Like it is expanding towards the top, not gettting smaller if your perspective was shooting from below.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:59 AM   #8
daz

Thanks, that is the kind of comments I am look for. One of the main reasons for take this photo (other then it looked kind of interesting) was the challenge of push my self and the equipment to make myself better.

When I looked through the view finder this is close to what I see. The problem is that your eye when it looks at each part of the seen automatically adjusts so that you can see over such a big contrast range. When it is in a photo you brain looks at it and expects to have to make adjustments but because it doesn't need to make them it gets a little confused. Like when it is looking at an optical allusion. It is not sure what is wrong, just that something is not right. You get the same feeling from a photo with a big near field to far field that is all in perfect focuses. At lest that is what I think it is.

As for the tower looking bigger that to I think is a bit of an optical allusion. I think it is because of some or all of the following. To get the Moon in and keep out all the wires, flare from the street lights, other stuff out I had to get back about a block from the tower and use a longer lens, this give a somewhat unusual prospective to the tower. The brain has to work more to put it in the "box" of how it thinks a tower should look. Because I was keeping all the other stuff out I also cropped the tower just above the rest of the building at the smallest part of the tower. Because the roof is bigger this to gives the allusion that the tower gets bigger as it goes up. All of this probable contributes to the over all feeling that something is not right.

DAZ
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:42 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i find this one to be a bit fake looking as well... to me it reminds me of a cgi clip from a high end video game intro movie or something..which is not necessarily a bad thing, it is art afterall, therefore it must not be real to be good..

i am not sure why the tower appears fake, i dont know whether someting in your processing did it, or if its just in the context..

but the moon looks a little too perfect.. and the stars look like you dotted them in..

but i am not one to care if it looks natural or not, so i rather like it for its uniqueness..

-------------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote