Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

OK! This shot is not good, but I am trying to improve my skills, with the help of yourselves, I could not get focus on the lightsAND the reflections, can anyone advise me.

thanks

tony

Attached Images

theproff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:59 PM   #2

what camera/settings are you using?
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 5:04 PM   #3

Camera settings:

Shutter 8 secs, f3.2, focal length 209mm, ISO 100

thanks

Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:52 PM   #4
daz

OK, I will give it a try. I it is hard from the low resolution photo that you have to post but I think there are 2 things probably making the photo look like it is not in focus. My first thing is that at the small f stop you used with the long focal length is that you don't have enough depth of field to get all of the photo. You will need to: Move closer and use a shorter focal length lens. This will widen your depth some and will help with the second thing when I get to it. You can also use a smaller aperture like an f8-11 and you may have to go down to f 22 or more. This will give you a longer exposer which will aggravate the second issue. The second issue is hard to tell from the photo but it looks to me that you have some movement blurring. With a longer focal length lens you need to have a faster shutter speed to stop the motion of the camera or a more stable camera platform. I know that you had the camera on some thing (probable a tripod) but that may not be enough. You have to start using things like cable releases, self timers, mirror lock up, a heaver tripod, weigh on the camera or my favorite a bungee cord you step on the holds the camera down. You may only need to do one thing, use a cable release, or almost all of them. You have to play and see what works.

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

Thanks for your input Daz, Firstly I have a Kodak DX6490, this is limited to f8. I did use a tripod, but it was quite windy, the weather wasn't on my side, I was approx 150 mtrs away from the lights.

I will return to the site with the invaluable knowledge you have given me and try again. but I will wait for better weather I think.

My tripod is quitesterdy, but I will try and weigh it down with something.

I always use the self-timer when taking shots with slow shutter speeds, so I dont think that was the problem.

Thanks again for you time.

I hope you will be watching for the inprovements, and comment again!

tony

Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:06 AM   #6

not what your looking for as it is better to improve on the front end, but a ittle sharpening and noise reduction go a long way. And if you spend more than the 5 seconds i spent on this, your results will be much better than what I got. Enjoy
Attached Images

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:28 AM   #7

Daz has said all of it. Try out and see what works. You will definitely get there. Keep posting.

Regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:29 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, your input is invaluable

tony

Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:47 AM   #9

post your shots max 800 pixels on the long edge.. sorry did not have time to scroll along each line to read this thread.

wind, long exposures, with consumer tripod (which I assume you use).... is waste of time.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:00 AM   #10
Super Moderator

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
post your shots max 800 pixels on the long edge.. sorry did not have time to scroll along each line to read this thread.

wind, long exposures, with consumer tripod (which I assume you use).... is waste of time.

yup... fix those problems first

then watch your white balance.. use custom white balance tool in camera or even better shoot raw and do it later..

---------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote