Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

Here's my second post of a fair ride called the "YoYo"

Another shot:

planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the flood lights in the background distract me from this one.. and its just a bit too centered... try some different angles.. see if you can make it a little more interesting..

-------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3

not a critique and more of a question but were you close enough to the subject that you might have been able to expose some of the riders with a flash, in addition to your long exposre. That might have made for an intersting shot. I think I will give that a try next time I go to the fair.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:30 PM   #4

Yea, those spotlights are bad, I'm going to go back and try to get some shots maybe without the spotlights

I also like the idea of using a flash to try and capture some of the riders on the ride, so I'll try to do that too. What's the best way to try this kind of shot?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:14 PM   #5

Planters,

I think if you keep it up your going to end up with some fantastic shots.

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:24 PM   #6

not sure of the rebel flah modes. On my camera you can set the flash to go off at the begining or the end of a long exposure. The diiference being for example if you had a car moving, the begining flash would give you the image of the car, and headlight "trails" in front of it. Or if the flash is at the end of the exposre, the "trails" would be behind the exposed car. It will be neat to see what you get if you try this soon. If you have an external flash, all the better as with the popup you will need to be within 3 meters or so.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:55 AM   #7

VAtechtigger wrote:
Quote:
not sure of the rebel flah modes. On my camera you can set the flash to go off at the begining or the end of a long exposure. The diiference being for example if you had a car moving, the begining flash would give you the image of the car, and headlight "trails" in front of it. Or if the flash is at the end of the exposre, the "trails" would be behind the exposed car. It will be neat to see what you get if you try this soon. If you have an external flash, all the better as with the popup you will need to be within 3 meters or so.
The 300D/digital rebel doesn't have 2nd Curtain Sync (the "at the end" flash mode) on its internal flash, but you probably don't want to be using its puny internal flash for something like this anyway. If your external flash supports it (if you can set it on the flash), 2nd curtain sync works (at least it does on mine! (mz54)). Also note that using ETTL, it'll preflash to get the metering in a setting this dark, which can be a bit disconcerting if you're not expecting it.

sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 3:55 PM   #8

I went back to the fair and tried to get a picture of the riders using my my canon 420ex flash.Here arethe best two I got of the yoyo ride:

I did get a pretty cool picture of another ride with the riders though, here it is:

Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:12 PM   #9

ah cool. I like the first and third one. Good jpb.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:40 PM   #10

Very cool shots with the riders in the rides. How do you get more than one in one post.? And how did you do these shots?
fairy_basslet is offline   Reply With Quote