Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:21 PM   #11

You could remove the back ground in its entirety or just do a clone tool using the other side of the head. I will try replaceing the back ground with maybe a lighter gray later.
nitroq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:37 PM   #12

I think it's best in B & W. Here's my effort - a combination of Photoshop Unsharp Mask, ACDSee conversion to 256 greys, Neat Image at one stage, Photoshop brushes to change the background, Gaussian blur on the background, then more Gaussian blur on everything except the eyes & central face, cropped a strip from the left side etc. etc. (Can't remember every move).
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:49 AM   #13

Hi
Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:53 AM   #14

Crop out the tree as above or in this one.

WhileI do like the Black and White, (the one above is great), Ithink thisyour little girl has lovely eyes.Great colour. Why lose that ?

I dont think the colour one should be overlooked... I like it a lot too.

The B/W do however have a more classic and professional feel.... Put in a glass frame that can be reversed.... Have both ;-).

Regards

LB

Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:50 AM   #15

Here are two clones. I prefer the portrait rather than landscape. I matched the stray hairs as closely as I could for a fast edit so you keep that depth and don't get the blurred look as with most edits. I also lightened the left side on the the landscape one a bit to get rid of the tree refelction.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:19 PM   #16

Wow, what a great set of edits. Even though I still prefer the classic look of the b&w, the cropped color photos that remove the distractions are really good too.

If I were you I'd probably end up printing some b&w and some cropped color ones. Maybe putting one in my office, one at home. . . .
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:22 PM   #17
Super Moderator

yea... these are all great edits..

i really like the offset nature of LB's edit.. for me that is the strongest i think...

-------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:14 PM   #18

this is an awesome portriat

I really like the b&w i think it really enhanced the facial features
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:08 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Wow - thanks for all the work and advice folks!

So you've all got me thinking.

Lauren is standing in front of a pool, which is covered in a pool net. Now this (even though blurred due to DOF) gives a background grid which makes the picture seem quite 3D, and I like that, so the very tight crops miss that out, even though they help with the tree problem.

The 3D grid also makes it fiendishly difficult to clone properly and get the effect to continue, some excellent edits above still look slightly wrong to me, and I don't feel bad about making such a hash of it on my first attempt.

Lboy's off-centre crop though was very interesting, and made me look again at the original photo....
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:20 AM   #20
Super Moderator

... what if I cropped all the way to the right to get an 8x10?

[Why am I fixated on an 8x10? - Well because I've found a lab that does them, and had some nice, reasonably priced pre-made frames with matt.]

Now with this crop we lose the darkest part of the tree, which gives the high-contrast area that is so distracting.

The 3D of the background still comes through - which makes Lauren stand out.

I also used the magic wand to select the whole troublesome area and added a layer to reduce the contrast and increase the brightness subtley to make it less obvious. I also added a bit of gaussian blur to again make it less obvious what's going on there.

I hope the effect is that if someone looks at that area they will of course still recognise a tree, but that they should be a lot less likely to look at the tree in the first place, the high contrast area is now the eyes, where it should be.

The space on the right works because of the eyeline, I was somewhat aware of this when I first cropped, but Lboy's edit draws attention to its effectiveness.

I think this is a lot better than the first one I posted, thanks to all of you. :-)

And I will be printing a colour one too, because she does have lovely eyes and the audience of this photograph is mainly me & her mum, plus anyone who pops by to visit. And the artist must think of his audience eh? ;-)
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote