Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:56 PM   #1

This one reminds me of some of my best times in the darkroom during Photojournlism, I think the photograph has a nice journalistic look to it. What do you think.
Attached Images

matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:09 PM   #2

I am new to photography so please take my comments with a large grain of salt. I like the photo, but I think I would have liked it better without the passers-by in the frame. Without them I think it would be a more timeless shot.

Just my 2 cents.

-Todd
DigitalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:12 PM   #3

This is a cool shot. Between the book (bible I'm guessing?) and the wad of cash in hand I'd love to know what he was hollaring about. The guy in the background that you can barely make out with a stereo or VCR in hand adds some question to what is going on here.. This shot hasalot going for it. I like it.

And yes it is very photojournalistic.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:30 PM   #4

Gipper that isn't a wad of cash. It is tri-fold gospel tracts I observed this fellow believer share the Gopsel for a while and could assure you that there wasn't any foul play. I even have one of his tracts, It's Manhattan there are people carring stuff all around the place and the VCR is unrelated to this man. I quess I needed to clarify about what was in his hands. Thanks for your comments

gipper51 wrote:
Quote:
This is a cool shot. Between the book (bible I'm guessing?) and the wad of cash in hand I'd love to know what he was hollaring about. The guy in the background that you can barely make out with a stereo or VCR in hand adds some question to what is going on here.. This shot hasalot going for it. I like it.

Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:32 PM   #5

I observed this man proclaim the Gospel for a while and I noticed how much people avoided him, In manhattan people avoid people, but the thing that amazed me is that this man in still steadfast in his efforts despite people swiftly walking by. Thanks for your comments.

DigitalCop wrote:
Quote:
I am new to photography so please take my comments with a large grain of salt. I like the photo, but I think I would have liked it better without the passers-by in the frame. Without them I think it would be a more timeless shot.

Just my 2 cents.

-Todd
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:10 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i love the timing in this shot and the overall feel the black and white gives this shot.. it is very much a PJ type feel to it.. i would just crop off the left side, i dont think you need those little parts of ppl in the shot.. and then run a little unsharp mask on it and maybe even a two part unsharp mask to boost contrast a bit too.. so maybe run USM first at radius 20 at about 40-50% .. then do a regular radius 1-1.5 at about 100-120%.. those are good starting numbers, you will have to play with it a bit.. but using that 2-stage USM method really adds some contrast that can look really cool with black and white shots..

------------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:08 AM   #7

Thanks for the suggestion Hard80.

Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:05 AM   #8

Yeah, the edited version is right on! Good work.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:16 AM   #9

My mistake. Should have looked closer at the pic Great shot though. Seeing the cropped version now I don't know if I like it better or not. Having the people just walking by paying no attention sets a mood sort of. All this man's hard work and nobody listening.

matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:
Gipper that isn't a wad of cash. It is tri-fold gospel tracts I observed this fellow believer share the Gopsel for a while and could assure you that there wasn't any foul play. I even have one of his tracts, It's Manhattan there are people carring stuff all around the place and the VCR is unrelated to this man. I quess I needed to clarify about what was in his hands. Thanks for your comments

gipper51 wrote:
Quote:

gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:21 AM   #10
Super Moderator

the edit is much better.. looks great man..

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote