Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1

Ok I tried a bunch of different settings and i couldnt get it just right. Is the bottom and the left side of the moon supposed to look like that or am i doing something wrong? Im not surebut if it is supposed to look like thati can just edit it out but if not then i dont know.

It was taken with a canon s2. shutter - 1/125, aperture - 3.5 (I tried 8 but i think 3.5 turned out the best), spot metering, ISO 50,zoom at 12x, no tripod used, and i also shot from my window because the door is loud when it opens and i didnt want to wake everyone up. I had the glass up and shot through the screen.

Dean
Attached Images

badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

your problem is the lack of a tripod at such a long focal length...

at full zoom of the s2is, even with the image stabilizer on, 1/125 is just too long of a shutter speed to get a sharp pic.. hence you see the softness around the edge from the camera shake...

so use a tripod, or even prop your camera up on a pillow or bean bag, i think you will be quite a bit happier w/ your results...

------------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3

Thanks Dustin.
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:58 PM   #4

Dustin, I have a different take on this. See the top right appears to be much better focused than the lower left. And by comparison, much more acceptable. My guess is that the angle of the camera lense was not 100% square to the screen of the window. I believe this accounts for the offset blur. Maybe tho, the blur at the top right just isn't visible since it's offset toward the better lit portion of the moon. In any case, a tripod is definately the first correction. 1/125 with a tripod is manageable and worksnot too bad. Look at this one with my Panasonic FZ 30. It's 1/100 and f 8 (maybe even higher like 9 or 10 I know I played around with it a bit but shutter speed is in that range)...hmmm ya, went back and reread the post. Actually the blur is most likely exactly what you suspect. yup. Good case for a tripod, good call Sherlock! Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

looking at this again, it could also look as such if he shot before the image stabilization fully stabilized.. maybe?... either way, tripod or some kind of support is needed for most ppl at those shutter speeds...

kenneth- though i must say you did a nice job with your pic at 1/100.. you are a steadier man than i....

------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:01 PM   #6

Now comes my other hobby, astronomy... Well a tripod might not help especailly using ISO of 50, and focal length, wound only make it worse unless it is a tracking telescope. The earth is moving and the moon is moving. If you are having a semi-long exposer of lets say 1/50, it will appear that there is camera shake. If you tack that Baby on to to telescope of a long focal lenght a shutter speed of 1/125 might be a little blurry, or appear to have camera shake, if you have access to a robotic telescope with a camera piggy back then that is your best tripod the camera will move with the telescope to track the moon.

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
your problem is the lack of a tripod at such a long focal length...

at full zoom of the s2is, even with the image stabilizer on, 1/125 is just too long of a shutter speed to get a sharp pic.. hence you see the softness around the edge from the camera shake...

so use a tripod, or even prop your camera up on a pillow or bean bag, i think you will be quite a bit happier w/ your results...

------------------
dustin

http://www.hardwickphotos.com
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:04 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the moon/earth movement is enough to show up as blur at shutter speeds of 1/50 or 1/125.. ????
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:12 PM   #8

YES
mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:57 PM   #9

Yes and the more you increase focal lenght the more it is magnified. In astronomy looking through a non robotic telescope some celestual bodies say in the veiw finder just a few seconds,
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:13 AM   #10
Super Moderator

wow... i guess you learn something everyday... that is very interesting..