Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:33 PM   #1

Here it is, let me have it. Pull no punches. My second try at a portrait. Anything you see that was done wrong or right please let me know. You can look at it with fresh unbiased eyes. No hard feelings.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

its definately cute!

and i like the pose on the log and the lighting is pretty good... but the background is quite distracting as i wish it was much more blurred... and the white balance seems to be a bit too cool as is...

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Great snapshot.

Nice pose, sharp, exposure fine, could maybe do with a wb adjustment, but not serious.

The background sucks a bit, but what can you do? You can't always put her in a controlled environment, and if you wanted a studio shot you put her in a studio - but you would then be very lucky to get that expression.

If your equipment allows it then you could try to blur the background more by selecting a wider aperture and possibly (if the environment allows it) get a greater distance between her and the background to get better seperation. But as I say - these considerations are all very equipment and enviroment dependent.

So if you want to put it in the "portrait" class it's got problems, but in the "snapshot" class it's an excellent piece and well deserving of a frame. It will make you smile every time you see it; for the memories it evokes, and granny will love it too.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the little dose of reality guys, that's what I wanted. I was after some outdoor fall pics and was a little early for the nicer colors, but the weather was nice last weekend. I didn't think the BG was too bad, I thought I was able to place a bright enough object(her face) in the frame to keep the attention there, guess not. The camera is a Fuji S7000 and I was shooting wide open. I stood back 10 feet or so and zoomed in to where I wanted it(somewhere around a focal length of 50). I didn't want to get to far away from her and not be able to engage her enough and interact with her. As for the BG blur, I am kind of at the limits of my camera which is really frustrating, but it's what I have to work with and does great if I don't screw up.
Anyone else have any thoughts? Let me know.

I have also put up this shot and 3 others from the same day in another thread and would love to hear your thoughts on those also. I didn't want to hog the forum with 4 seperate threads. Thanks again.
Other pics @
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=88
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:01 PM   #5

This isn't a bad portrait attempt and is certainly more than a "snapshot". It is apparent you've thought this shot out carefully, though the results may not be what you expected.

The background does not "oops" and there is nothing distracting about it. This is a very good choice for a background. Moving further away from your subject and zooming in more would have rendered better results. Also, more subject to background distance would have been helpful. Nothing a little post work will not fix.

The pose is nice for a little girl. I would have positioned her so that a little more of the light was hitting the front of her face rather than her left side, but that is just my personal preference. What you have done works well.

I'll not say what is best, but always consider different framing options. While you are learning, frame a little wide so you have several crop options. For this image, I find that there is too much unnecessary space.

The color is off a tad, but it is nothing you cannot adjust in post. I assume you are using Auto WB?

Remember when shooting portraits, the eyes should be the Center of Interest. Because the eyes lack light and the sparkle we want to see, others see other elements as distractions.

Thank you for sharing!

Rodney Blair
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice Rodney! I appreciate it. I have added some yellow and a little red to the original and also sharpened the eyes a bit. Make a big difference, warmed it up nicely. I am always afraid of over doing the post and getting a cartoon look, but I will remember to at least try this step next time. I was using auto wb, we were in the woods with a pretty good filtered sun and overcast sky, but we were moving all over the woods and didn't want to lose her patience by setting a custom wb at each location. I like your crop and should have montioned that mine probably wasn't a final crop, but left wide enough for a variety of print options.
Thanks guys for the fresh set of eyes on this one, sometimes its hard to be objective! This is only my 2nd try, hopefully they will continue to improve.