Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:25 PM   #1

New to this but have realized through reading this is the best place to learn and have decided one of the best ways is to let you guys tell me what I am doing wrong. So I will post shots I think I faired ok on and let you tell me what I am not seeing. I love color so alot of my shots are of flowers. I also shot some at swim meets which is something I will need to talk to someone about that has done it before mostly poor lighting indoors and to much sun when outdoors. Also the few milliseconds you have to shoot when the head is actually out of water. Here is a shot of a flower from my mother-in-laws Garden. I will post others later. Thanks ahead for your honesty.

Allen

P.S. Maybe I should clone out the spider webs?
Attached Images

nitroq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:31 PM   #2

try a diffrent angle...Your subject it's straight in the middle ....and that's verry bad....try to play with exposure (your picture it's quite overexpozed...) and try (my god...so many try...try...) to give more saturation to the principal colors

mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3

Are you saying crop a 3rd or shoot at a totally different angle such as tilting the camera to view from a different angle? The reason I ask is this is actually a crop from a larger shot. And the colors I left natural but I could saturate it using Photoshop. If you wouldnt mind pull this down into PS or what ever and saturate it like you think it should be so that I have an idea.As for the exposure that I will have to learn, however I think I shot this in raw and maybe I can correct it from PS as well.

Thanks this is the information I was looking for.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:03 AM   #4
Super Moderator

the problem is that you shot this one with direct sunlight, leading to big time contrast differences... this leads to the blown highlights on a few of the leaves... to get the exposure and the saturation you are looking for you need to shoot on a cloudy day or use some kind of diffuser to cut the harsh light... underexposing a stop and using RAW can help if you just HAVE to shoot in harsh direct sunlight though..

mad_grll gave you some good ideas on composition... try getting the flower off to a 1/3 vertices and then having it open into the shot to give it some depth... and make good use of your empty space... opening up the aperture (using a lower number f-stop, i.e. 2.8) will give you the blur you are looking for..

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:11 PM   #5

Thanks again these are the comments I needed to help me make better photos.

Allen