Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:43 AM   #1

Folks, tried my hand at framing. Now don't say this failed.:blah:
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:45 AM   #2

Hi,

Not sure if you spotted my dislike at frames from a previous post but...

The few frames that I have seen that I do like have been of this nature. I am not a fan of the drop shadow and other such effects. However I think the white makes the sky look even more wishy washy - I think maybe a carefully selected brown framemay compliment the colours in the image better. Maybe worth a try?

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:58 AM   #3

Hi Dom,

I think I saw what you meant which made a lot of sense. I have tried to do something ealse here I hope it looks much better. Thanks for looking, in that way we learn from each other.

Kind regards.

Patrick.
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4

Hi,

I dont really like those frame "effects" - not really what I was thinking...

I have added a simple green frame - just a few pixels wide, i used the eyedropper to pick a nice green from the image (I tried brown it just didnt do it). However still not too sure after looking at it once again so I fixed the levels and added a sky from one of my shots - what do you think now?

Dom

Edit: After posting and looking again I think i may even like your white border better!

Attached Images

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:18 AM   #5

I'm not sure that the new frame is any better. I think the image has a few issues that is making the framing difficult.Exposure is not great. It won't be easy to get a proper exposure due to the wide difference between the shadows under the bridge and the sunlit foreground and background.The focus is also a little off. Because the image lacks contrast, I think finding a frame to compliment it will be difficult. Did you sample the new color from the image??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:18 AM   #6

i definitely like a color frame around this one to help set the boundaries of the photo. i really¬* like the red frame better but i suppose that is just a matter of personal taste .
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:57 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i rather like frames.. seperates the image from the forum... do a little search on the internet, you should be able to find some framing programs quite easily..

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:06 AM   #8

Folks, thanks for the comments. When I said I was framing this photo, it was not so much about theboundaries at the edge of the photo, although that seems to have become the point of interest from which I must admit I have learnt quite a lot. I was more interested in framing in the actual photo. I know the photo is not great but for me practicing these things as Dustin has offten suggested to me is very important. I was trying framing through the leaves. Did it work?

Thanks DomCotton and reseeney for the insightful comments. Julies517, you always make me feel I am making progress and Dustin is my ever faithful tutor.

Kind regards.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:45 AM   #9

Yes I think using the foliage to frame the shot was a good idea but I think in order for it to come across well the rest of the issues would need to be corrected. I think the problems are overpowering your intentions.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:37 PM   #10

Thanks windowmaker that is what I was looking for. It is a learning process. thanks for looking.