Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1

I will show you those photos here as my first try to make this kind of shoots in a room where I try to make a kind of studio surrounding.

I have had a lot of problems when trying to shoot without the flash. Because of the light adjustment which was that like that my Manual pharameters of Nikon 8700 model were: shutter speed was from 1/2 to 1/8s, aperture f7.3 and ISO 400 and without flash in JPG high quality (should I use Tiff high quality or even RAW format). Only problem that I had is lot of noise or should I say too much, what distroyed my photos.

Hope to have all possible suggestions and critiques....

Regards Zak
Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:31 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:32 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:33 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:49 PM   #5

First thing I will comment on is the skin tone or overall color in general. It appears different in every shot. Shoot raw and choose custom white balance. Use a coffee lid like maxwell house coffee semi transparent lids. These work great to use as the subject for custome white balance. Shoot the coffee lid in the same lighting and make sure it fills the circle in the center of your shot. Choose that image to use for custom white balance.

Second you need a hair light or a lighter background. The subjects hair is getting swallowed up by the current background.

I would get those two problems solved and then work from there.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:59 AM   #6

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. I see that there are too much color differances and in some other forum I ask question about too much specially yellow color on my pictures but no one give me the answer.

I must really ask to explane me once again your suggestion

1. since the first thing I did not get clear is where to choose the
"custom white balance" I have only white bal. preset option and auto which I used, or

2.you use custom white balance as option in some computer programme or

3.just as comparation between two images in Photoshop.

Sorry for trouble.

Second: "use coffee lid like maxwell house coffee semi transparent lids" did not get so clear could you make an example more easy to understand.

For the hair problem will be easy to repair for the next shooting.

Thanks in advance for your efforts which will make much good to my learning.

Regards Zak
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:35 AM   #7

You can adjust the white balance with software later but I prefer getting as close to where I want it during the shot. You need to check your camera manual and see what white balance options you have and if it does have custom you need to know what area of the shot it uses. For example my camera uses the spot metering circle, which is a circle in the middle of the viewfinder. The below image is a quick example of what the scene looked like through my viewfinder when setting the white balance. Notice the lid fills that center circle. I took the shot using the same lighting that would be used with teh subject.

After that shot is taken and is in my camera I select custom white balance in my cameras menu, which then lets me select what image I want to use for custome white balance. In this case I would choose the image I that I took above. Then the camera is actually set to custom white balance mode.

Below are examples before any processing so the blemishes on the little girl have not been removed yet. The first it what the image looked like with auto white balance and the second was custom white balance. This is the way they appear right out of the camera.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:23 PM   #8

Really thanks for your full explanation, it is the best that you could give me.

Yes, I found that option on my camera and it is cold preset white balance and I have 4 possibilities to measure as metering methods:

matrix

spot

center-weighted

spot AF area

Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:02 PM   #9

Also, I have additional question:

When taking shots like those should I use flash for fill-inor not.

If I use flash, should be photos taken from a longer distanceand some zooming or it would be OK to shoot without flash.

regards Zak
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:50 PM   #10

I would like to see a hair light. This could be done easily but bouncing a light of the ceciling or turning on an overhead light.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote