Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1

Here is another shot. Thoughts? I have many more of this fall from different angles that may be better but this is the first one I edited.

Attached Images

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:52 PM   #2

a small thought,

to me the picture looks a bit incomplete without the actual starting point of the falls. SInce u have captured a part of the vertical fall i as a viewer expect to see it from the top. Also everything looks a bit distant. If u can capture the lower part or the stream much closer than how it looks now, it would have been a great shot.

I really like the colors. The wet look with a lemonish feeling kinda appears pretty refreshing atleast to me

vivek
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:55 PM   #3

When I shot this fall the very top (120 feet up) was baked in sunlight and the rest in shade. I did shoot to include the top, even some bracketed shots if I ever want to blend them. I just think it would still not help. I'll look through my photos and see if I have any shots like you described.

Here is a direct from s7raw jpeg conversion of the full fall exposed for the top part (and even then the highlights are blown) there was too much dynamic range for my 1/2.7" 4MP sesnor to handle. This is the dark frame. The light frame merged with it might help some but I think the above shot still looks better overall.

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

getting down lowerto emphasize the foreground and to make the fall look bigger would have helped out in the first shot.. its not bad as is, just lacks that extra little bit... its a tad overexposed as well, you would have better saturation if you would have dialed in -2/3 to -1 on the exp comp..

-------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:02 PM   #5

Hards, I have almost the same shot except it is a little to the right which causes the tree blocking some of the fall to not obscure the falls as much. I shot that shot with a dark and light exposure (one for the falls and one for the follage). I probably could get better saturation and dynamic range once I blend the two together. I will try to work on it later. Since these shots were taken raw I have plenty of room to play with regarding exposure as well.

Also, the above shot was much darker. I used the contrast enhancement post processing editing to it to bring out detail in the shadows. As a result I probably caused the saturation to dull. This and the other smokey mountain shot (#1) were quick edits. I'll spend more time with them when I really have the time for it.

Unfortuenly, I am back home and won't be able to reshoot until I visit again. Thanks for the comments.

Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:13 PM   #6
Super Moderator

oh yea.. if you shot RAW, you have plenty to work with... look forward to seeing the blended and the final edits!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:00 PM   #7

I have edited the EV blended and saturation adjusted version. It will be in its own post (Smokey Mountains #3).
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:14 PM   #8

Nice. I would try a close up of the water on the water fall. I like the path the water takes across the photograph.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 8:51 AM   #9

Matthew,

I do have some closeup zoom crops of the water. When I get to processing them I'll post them.