Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 25, 2005, 1:41 AM   #1

Folk, please tell me about the composition, whether I achieved my intention of diminishing perspctive.

Kind regards.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:18 AM   #2

In my opinion, not. The large building appears to be the subject of the shot, and tends to overwhelm the perspective of the path. This technique works best with nothing to distract from the converging lines of the path or road. If there is something besides horizon, it should be small enough not interfere.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 8:24 AM   #3

Aumma,

I want to thank you again for the nice thing you said about my Hibiscus and Butterfly picture. So you know I want to say something nice here about this picture. I know your working at it and your on the right track. But you let the horizon tip on you here. Another thing i see in the Exif data is 1/800 on the shutter and 400 iso. The building isn't going anywhere and you can slow down. It's spring time down there so you should be able to get a brighter day for it. (Evening - morning light is best) Nice thing about this kind of a shot is you can really stop and think about camera settings, composition and stuff like that.

And what Brian said.

Dustin's turn.

dale

PS: Relax... Take your time.

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:03 PM   #4
Super Moderator

you need to get lower if you want to emphasize the road and the diminishing perspective... maybe get low enough the road is coming out of both corners.. then you need to fix the horizon, its crooked.. and you need to use unsharp mask, this one is way too soft...
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"------------
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dustin
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 1:54 AM   #5

Thanks folks for the informative input. I am always learning. Kind regards.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 2:07 AM   #6

one thing that i had a problem with was the frame. you should go with a complimentary

color to all the green in the shot. maybe something a little on the warmer side.

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:00 AM   #7

Thanks folk for your very informative comments and for bearing with my idiosyncracies. It seems I mislead the forum by theme of the photo. Perhaps I should have said something like "Leading Line" Would this work since the road leads to the house and the house seem to be the centre of focus in the photo.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Brian, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Thanks Dustin, I am not very good at using unmasking but see the results belowand Scot. I have tried a warm frame too to see the effect.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dale, very kind words indeed. I came froma conference where I was doing some night shooting - didn't have a tripod. I forgot to crank the ISO down to 100. The photo is ofa building in London, and I was awaiting my next flight in a couple of hours, so I grabed the occasion to see a bit of London. There was just too much to see. The weather was unforgiving, it was a very gray day indeed overcast and not an iota of brother sun. Nevertheless, I learnt from those mistakes. Even though sometimes I know a photo is not very good I still post it so that I can learn from you folks. I came with expectations to learn something new and I always do.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Kind regards.
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:21 PM   #8
Super Moderator

that is WAY too much!

start off somewhere in the parameters of..

amount: try in the ballpark of 70-150%

radius: 1-1.5ish

threshold: 0-5 depending on picture..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote