Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 27, 2005, 9:21 AM   #11
Super Moderator

thanks for all the comments everyone!! i hate that tree too, its a rather dull and boring looking tree, but i doubt they would have allowed me to cut it down!!

julie- the scene is a bit flat overall, so any more contrast and it would have been quite fake looking..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:31 AM   #12
Super Moderator

The composition is excellent.

I wonder if just a little extra room on the left might have been nice, because it seems that the boardwalk leads the eye naturally to its end. But then of course the tree explodes it back into the rest of the photo.

The BW conversion looks like a very good job to me, but of course web output is very different from a print. In the print you might well be able to boost the contrast without blowing anything.

I also think that this image would work incredibly well in a large print. A3 at least. It will capture the viewer from across the room and pull them right over to have a closer look.

Stunning work. Well done indeed.

P.S. I would be interested to see a colour version too.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 6:44 PM   #13
Super Moderator

thanks peripatetic.. i appreciate the comments.. my only composition problem was the same as you said, i wish i had left a little more room on the left.. just abit tight especially at that first post..

so the slight vignetting worked for you guys... i thought it added a bit of artistic class to the piece, you all agree?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:17 PM   #14

Hmm, the contrast is not bad as some have suggested: the foreground and the backgroud contrast well, may not be perfect but there is certainly a dignified look to it - Timeless as someone so loving referred to it. And if you say the day was dull then you pulled off the shot.

Sometimes, it interests me how variedour tastes are which of course makes it very intersting. The point is that you have to work with what is there - the physical environment, I doubt that Dustin would have change this very much, yet he managed to pull off this one. For me as a junior, it is always a learning experience.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:44 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
thanks peripatetic.. i appreciate the comments.. my only composition problem was the same as you said, i wish i had left a little more room on the left.. just abit tight especially at that first post..

so the slight vignetting worked for you guys... i thought it added a bit of artistic class to the piece, you all agree?
I dunno about the vignetting. I would say it doesn't particularly detract from an excellent photo, but at web resolutions on bright screens it's hard to comment really.

I would expect a print to be better without it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote