Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:39 AM   #1

Hello folks,

I took this photo in BW with my Canon 20D last weekend. This was my first attempt at BW that I've never had any experience. Please tell me if there is anything wrong with this pix.

Canon 20D, Canon lens 50mm f/1.8, Tv, ISO 100, f8, 1/100s, metering mode center-weighted.

Thanks and regards,

Quan

Attached Images

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:32 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Excellent B&W conversion.

You have a large dynamic range to worry about with the sunshine and shade, but there is little noise and you have not "blown" any detail in shadow or light that I can see.

The composition and subject are up to your usual high standard, I find the plastic basket front-right to be somewhat distracting, so ...

My only suggestion might be that you may be able to revisit the location when the lighting is less harsh and get something even better; but you have captured something interesting here - people sheltering from a harsh sun. So it has merit in that "documentary" sense, even if aesthetically you might be off under different light.

I like it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:22 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree.. the lighting was definately working against you here, but you did a nice job in handling it well..

but on the other hand, if the light wasn't harsh, then would the ppl have needed to take shelter from it..

anyways, i like the shot.. gives a good glimpse into these folks daily lives...

----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:56 PM   #4

Thanks Peripatetic and Dustin for your kind comments and advice. Since I took this shot at about 10:00 in the morning andthe light was so harsh at that time, the photo did not come out very well. I'll try again BW in better moments to see if therewill be anyimprovement. Please note that I set the parameter in my 20D straight to BW so I did not need to use PS to convert it to BW.

Kind regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

it is really better to shoot all of your digital photos in color and convert to black and white in PS.learning to use the channel mixer or colored layers during your black and white conversions will give you much more control over your images than ever possible using the black and white function on your 20d. and subsequently will result in superior pictures..

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote