Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:18 PM   #1

I did not follow the rule of thirds in this shot. I centered the subject. Do you think it is needed?

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:53 AM   #2

i think something may have went wrong with the compression of this photo, maybe it's just my monitor, but it looks pixelated and actually reminds me of a still from a video game or something. i think the photo you were going for looks good but the quality of the image on here can be better.

johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i am getting some weird almost moire like patterning in the diagnals as well..

i think you need a little stronger subject here.. something that seperates it from the surrounding foliage, as right now it blends in a bit too much.. maybe getting closer and then placing your subject off-center would help..

thanks for sharing

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:47 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments.

I do not see the problems both of you mention here on my monitor. However I am new enough at Photography I may not know what to look for. Compression may be a factor. The origional photo is 1.84MB and this photo is 164KB. I have to keep the file size low because of my host. It will not allow Hotlinking over 250KB.

Moving away from the shade tree I was sitting under to cool off during my desert hike would solve the problem of the subject being surrounded by all the foliage.

More comments would be appreciated to help me solve the image/compression problem.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:41 PM   #5

This is strange... The picture looks great to me.... Other then what Dustine said. Can't go wrong with Dustines advice. It's just to cluttered.... BUT PRETTY...

You can just upload your pictures into the post. But the size limit is still 250,400 bytes.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:14 AM   #6

I do see some artifacts around the busy foliage underexposed in the foreground and the foliage in the background goes from sharp at the points to a muddy look as they come to the center. This might be due to compression or was there any type of filter used in PS?
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:46 PM   #7

Widowmaker,
All I did to this photo is resize it from 2304x1728 to 828x621 and out put it at the lowest file size I could in Photoshop. Nothing else was done to the image. I guess my Gateway 17 inch monitor is not as clear as the ones you guys use. Is there anything else I should have done?
Thanks for the reply.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:58 PM   #8
Super Moderator

part of the problem is that you picked the smallest file size.... therefore it compresses it the most... by doing so it groups like pixels together and saves them together... in doing so it loses some detail by grouping pixels that aren't exactly alike together.. this leads to what we call artifacting, or funny looking noisy areas...

try saving at the largest file size that you can that is still under 250k.. usually this is about 80 or 85..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:19 PM   #9

I think the foliage around the edges crowds the picture too much.

I find it very distracting.

The main theme, the two palms, doesn't do much for me either.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote