Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:05 PM   #11

i hear ya dustin, i try to comment on a lot of photos but find that it's the same few that comment if at all. in turn i find myself commenting less and less.¬* ¬*i happen to like this over-processed rendition. i think it works really well. the red tree and the sky with the puffy white clouds¬* are a beautiful combination. ....and then the cars bother me much less :P.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:15 PM   #12
Super Moderator

i ask you this julie, if you like the over-processed rendition... is it really over-processed then, or just processed just the right amount :blah:

hehe.. thanks for commenting julie..

i am in a better mood now, i finished my program
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:19 PM   #13

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
you know.. 4 ppl replied to this..

if you guys are going to want critiques, you have to give critiques.. forgive me, but i spend ALOT of time trying to comment on everyones photos..

you have to give to recieve.. and i am not meaning you all have to critique my photos every time.. but you have to participate...

maybe i am just in a bad mood because my computer programming is going pretty bad.. but i am a little disappointed that more ppl are not giving back...

-dustin
Dustin,

Maybe you are in a bad mood. Most of us would be glad to have four people comment on our pictures. The fact is that most picture go down the list with less. I've always thought it was nice of you to comment on almost every picture. Many of which would have gone down with no comments if you hadn't dropped in a word of encouragement and advice. So I'll take this moment to say thank you. I'm sure others are also.

So... Put down what ever text book you're studying. Take a couple of deep breaths. Now repeat after me....

The heck with it I'm going to bed.

As for this picture... You know it's over the top. I mean really. The other shots you took from this shoot are nice. Even this one is nice. We've all been going a little crazy with fall color saturation. That's OK. I'm sure that some folks just don't want to say anything bad to you.

So relax and go to bed.

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:21 PM   #14

geez dustin, i used the wrong emoticon...i meant the sticking tongue out one that you used....i hope you don't think i was yelling at you lol! i guess it means that this is "just right" for me...and that's all that matters, right
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:37 PM   #15
Super Moderator

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
Dustin,

Maybe you are in a bad mood. Most of us would be glad to have four people comment on our pictures. The fact is that most picture go down the list with less. I've always thought it was nice of you to comment on almost every picture. Many of which would have gone down with no comments if you hadn't dropped in a word of encouragement and advice. So I'll take this moment to say thank you. I'm sure others are also.

So... Put down what ever text book you're studying. Take a couple of deep breaths. Now repeat after me....

The heck with it I'm going to bed.

As for this picture... You know it's over the top. I mean really. The other shots you took from this shoot are nice. Even this one is nice. We've all been going a little crazy with fall color saturation. That's OK. I'm sure that some folks just don't want to say anything bad to you.

So relax and go to bed.

dale
that is exactly the point.. no one should be lucky to only get 4 replies.. i just want it to be more interactive.. if you post something, comment on 3 or 4 photos.. you know.. i look down the list and see alot of 1,2,3 replies.. we have enough ppl that frequent here to comment a little more..

i was a bit harsh earlier.. i should know not to email, instant message, or post when i am frustrated with work.. unfortunately when i am frustrated with work, i usually use these things as a diversion..

and i do know this one is over the top.. its over the top on purpose... its not meant to be compared to a "normal photo".. it is what it is..

and i hope by now everyone knows that they can say whatever they would like about my photos.. i may or may not agree, but i am never going to be personally offended..

btw dale- i shot some today a bit north of town, and there is absolutely no color in them :sad:... i could post some of them, though they are rather boring, if we are tired of saturated images..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:34 AM   #16

This particular photograph is not doing a whole lot for me. The nicecolours are not enough to make this one special.

I think landscape looks better in a realistic colour saturation. I always end up with the feeling that someone is trying to fool me into believing the scene really existed like this. However as people see scenes like this everyday, they are of course not fooled at all. I realise you have went for this intentionally but I dont think its a good way of trying to make a fairly average scene stand out. A better composition can do this hands down.

Just in general for landscape.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:18 AM   #17

About replies -

Its admirable the time you give to each photo Hards, making a comment on just about everything in a very positive way. Personally I have a don't have the time. Also I see this forum quite saturated with snap-shots where in my opinion any comments would be lost (at least I think so). There are so many new posts every day that I open maybe 3 of 4 and if I'm lucky and there is in-fact a "photograph" of some interest I will comment. If there is no recognisable composition of interest to me as a photograph - thats as far as it goes. Certainly no point in me going into details about the lighting, DOF or any other aspect. People should accept that if there is not very many comments on their posts, that their photo is just not that good and didn't interest that many people. This is life, accept it. In-fact I prefer this and this natural selection in-fact helps. People are more encouraged to become better. They will see a better standard of photograph on these pages. (Which at the moment its very low). I'm not surethe sugar coated, or for that matterover commentingis in-fact of a huge benefit. I participate more on a different site, as the standard is higher and the participants accept straight talking and photographic critique. I know it sounds hard, but someone posting a snapshot and getting 3 rosy replies back will post another one or even ten, and this isnot raising their standard.However if they read wellposted photographs of reasonable to high interest and in turn proper critique, this willteach beginners much more. It depends on your outlook and what you feel provides better service.

The other difficult thing - and no offense, but its rather difficult to give a straight response here. If its not covered in sugar and niceaties it all to often gets taken out of context. Which I am hoping will not happen to this post...:-)
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:46 AM   #18

Hello Dustin,

Here is my comment on this iteration of the Fall in Forest Park theme; I prefer the composition here because the bright red tree is separated from the lesser tree to its right and because the arrangement of the rocks in the foreground is less complicated and does not conflict with the red tree for attention. My own tastes run toward razor sharp detail, so the blurring and glowing does not work as well for me as it might for somone else. I do think the intense color works.

I have to say that many forum members, including myself, probably feel that criticism of your work from people who are at least at the same skill level (up there) as yours would be most valuable to you while their own comments may be off-base and a waste of the forum's and your attention.

While your forthright, sometimes blunt, comments throughout these forums have been valuable to me, mine come from the "I may not know much about art but I know what I like" school of thought.

So, thank you for all that you put into these discussions. There are a few other very active and skilled forum members who are happy to share their knowlege and who are no doubt reading this and know who they are. Please let me thank them here also.

Vinny C

Striver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:37 AM   #19

Add me to that school of thought. I don't feel that comfortable critiquing a pro or semi-pro's photos because I'm completely amateur myself.

That said, I really like the composition and the colors (that red tree sure jumps out against that deep blue sky!) but my own preference would be to keep it sharp rather than introduce blur that wasn't there originally. (My taste runs closer to "depiction" than to "art," but anyone closer to "art" is going to love this shot.)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:55 AM   #20

Hards, sorry for not posting a critique, this is my first venture into this forum for about 6 months. I noticed in the Canon forum - you are using Raw Shooter Essentials. I purchased RS Premium and it has a Saturation control called vibrance. You may want to check it out.

Also, I'm not sure if you have tried it, but do a search for a velvia action to boost saturation - its free and works very well.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote