Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 5, 2005, 2:32 PM   #1

I caught this chap this morning on the beach, filling his cart with coal, this is a rare sight these days, in the old days this was common.

tony

theproff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

how much did you crop this?? because this is simply way too soft...
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"------
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dustin
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:30 PM   #3

Hi Dustin

this is the original shot, justresized by 45%for this forum.

I would appreciate your input here, this is an uncommon site these days.

thanks tony

Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:34 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i think you need to get in close with a normal zoom lens.. get a nice face shot of this guy with his coal cart and donkey.. conversion to black and white would be perfect for this type of shot..

-------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:37 PM   #5

Thanks Dustin for the tips, but I may not see this guy again, he is a Gypsy and may not be on the land much longer. I did have to use the zoom, focal length 380mm, he was a long way off, I took 3 shots and that was the best, better luck next time eh......

tony

Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6

Subject shot is great. It is a shame you could not or did not get closer to the subject at hand.

Can't say this is in the candid category. More like a spy shot to me.

This could have been a real good one for sure.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:32 AM   #7

I think many NE museums would like a copy of this astonishingly historical shot for their files, e.g., Beamish Open-air Museum. There's not a lot of coal about these days, let alone sea coal. Siberian Sleazogas rules! We'll have to try,with great difficulty & expense, to reopen our coal mines eventually.

I prefer the resized original to the cropped shot, because it shows the context better. Superimposing the date would be useful if you gave it to a museum, because it belongs to a different age, even though it's contemporary.

Did you sharpen after resizing? I find (in Paint Shop Pro) that pushing the 'sharpen' option last, before saving with a careful and modest degree of jpeg compression gives the best result for computer viewing. Printing is another matter - you need to sharpen just the right amount, viewed at 1:1 size, as the very last thing before printing.

Regardless of photography, this shot belongs in 'people photos' with an explanation of what sea coal is all about for our worldwide viewers. Given all the current hoo-hah about energy issues, I think it's publishable.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:53 AM   #8

Thanks for all your comments, another failure, I'm used to it.

vIz, I couldn't get any closer, I was right on the edge of the cliff, and it was 50 - 60 feet drop onto rocks before rolling into the sea. "Spy shot" that sounds intrusive, does this mean if we shoot someone we don't know it's a "spy shot", wow, how many of us are guilty of that then..........:?

Alan, thanks for your "support" in the meaning of this shot.

the resized original is straight out the camera, Ive done nothing else to it. publishable, wow, wouldn't have expected that. I will try your tips in PSP, it's not a package I use often though. thanks again

tony

Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:50 AM   #9

Sorry for lumping it in a category that makes a bad name for photography. How about "grab" shot. For me candids are more up close and personal, yet the person is unaware of the shot taken.

This was taken at quite a distance and the rarity of the shot of this activity has merit.

Quite possibly not ever going to get a shot like this again. It was good that you had a camera to record something that has been the norm back in time.

Who knows though with the energy prices and the crunch for resources, we may go back to this more than we think.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:23 PM   #10

Well vIZ, I don't fancy taking my gas fire out and replacing it with a coal one, let's hope not eh!!!