Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:19 PM   #1

This is another different pose of Quynh Nhu, the girl we met by chance at Stone Spring and she volunteered to be a model for us to shoot. :lol:

Is this one any better than the previous one? Please comment.

Thanks a lot and regards,

Quan
Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:28 PM   #2

Quan Tran

You know all of the comments onthe other picture apply here also. However, I would like to say that Quynh Nhu is very pretty and a great gal for doing this pose. I hope she gets another chance to pose for you in warmer, dryer environment. She could be a real asset.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3

I think this shot would work out so much better if the pose were not direct. Its just not working with her looking at the camera, smiling, etc. Something more natural.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4

Thanks folks for your comments.

To widowmaker: Look at her face carefully, you'll find that she does not look straight to my lens.

Cheers,

Quan
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5
Super Moderator

the light is just quite harsh too.. it seems as if she is fighting all these elements and then trying to put on a smile.. which makes it a little awkward...

i agree with the comments made, she is very beautiful young lady and i think a more natural setting would facilitate a more naturally beautiful pose and expression..

---------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:36 AM   #6

the impression i get is that the water is REALLY cold and that, through chattering teeth,

she is begging you to please hurry-up! i agree with dale big time!

scot
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:22 AM   #7

Quan Tran wrote:
Quote:
Thanks folks for your comments.

To widowmaker: Look at her face carefully, you'll find that she does not look straight to my lens.

Cheers,

Quan
Thats not at all what I mean. She does not have to be looking at the lens for it to be direct. Point is she is posing in a manner that shows she is very aware that her picture is being taken.

This location can still work but not with the posing that is being used.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:56 AM   #8

She looks like she has slipped and fallen while crossing, and is making the most of her embarrassment.

:lol:Your not getting this, I think....

Having a girl lie down in this rushing water ...... here it is ......

looks stupid.

All the more so that she has her cloths on. Not that I am saying it would be better without.

Sorry but have to be honest with you here. It makes me think... "takes a silly person to do this", thereforethe photograph for mecant be taken seriously.

ok let me try and be more helpful.

I can see that you know how to use your camera, however you need to work on your compositional skills.

Why not have her sit on a dry piece of bank, or on a rock and have her feet in the rushing water. I'm sure she'd look and feel more comfortable. Her expression does not look right at the moment because I'm sure she just feels silly...

The only way you can get away with something like this is with something a bit risque, a little on the edge. A nude model, an abstract expression. Possibly amonotone.

This particular girl, the mood, the expression - and what you are trying to convey is something different and is not really working. I understand you happened upon the opportunity, but as I say maybe something a little more classical would have served you better here. Oh I would have left off the head-dress also.

I know some photographers that could get a model in there lying upside down in a converted monotone and it would have been a winner. Sorry just not just not in the combinations you have on offer here.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:56 PM   #9

LBoy wrote:
Quote:

looks stupid....

Sorry but have to be honest with you here. It makes me think... "takes a silly person to do this", thereforethe photograph for mecant be taken seriously."
Dear LBoy,

I really appreciate your value suggestions and advice on how to improve this shot. Photography is just my hobby and therefore I'm not using it for a living or competition at the moment. I've just entered this field since March 2005 and I've not participated in any photography course yet. I am still learning it. On the contrary, you may be a pro and it is your living so our point of view is different.

I really appreciate someone's constructive comments like yours which should be straightforward to my works but I can't accept offensive comments and words like "stupid, silly" arrogantly used. I think you have read the forum rules and hope you bear this in mind.

Please ignore this if I misread your writing since English is not my native tongue.

Kind regards,

Quan

Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:57 PM   #10

LBoy wrote:
Quote:

looks stupid....

Sorry but have to be honest with you here. It makes me think... "takes a silly person to do this", thereforethe photograph for mecant be taken seriously."
Dear LBoy,

I really appreciate your valuable suggestions and advice on how to improve this shot. Photography is just my hobby and therefore, I'm not using it for a living or competition at the moment. I've just entered this field since March 2005 and still learning it. I've not participated in any photography course yet. On the contrary, you may be a pro and it can be your living so our point of view can be different.

I really appreciate someone's constructive comments like straightforward to my works but I can't accept offensive tone and words like "stupid, silly" arrogantly used. I think you have read the forum rules and hope you bear this in mind.

Please ignore this if I misread your writing since English is not my native tongue.

Kind regards,

Quan