Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:43 PM   #1

Comments please

pasu_chennai
pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Super Moderator

you have a nice reflection which is pleasingly placed.. the colors aren't oustanding, but its just that time of year.. watch your horizons though, if you look past the tree, the water is very off-kilter..

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:31 AM   #3

My take is that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...:roll: You know...you have the right idea, the water is cooperating and you have the idyllic reflection...but? Just put those elements in a river at night near a beautifully lit city scene reflected in the water at a distance, or a moonlit mountain lake, stars....A N Y thing would look livlier than this! You just can't bribe nature to give you what you need for a great shot. 10 out of 10 for the shot's technical composition... 2 or 3 out of ten for the artistic appeal. ONLY in my eyes...however, many people might give you a standing ovation. I just don't see it that way. Feel free to reciprocate with any of my shots:-)

Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:13 AM   #4

Thanks for ur reply..
even i am not convinced with the color and any other aspect of the picture.
Only thing I like was the reflection .. so thought of sharing it..

Dustin.. u r exactly right abt the season..
I really feel bad that i didn't visit this place during peak fall.. it would have been really interesting....

thanks..
pasu_chennai
pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:53 PM   #5

Actually, I really like the muted colors of late fall in this picture. I get the sense that winter is fast approaching. Except for the tilt of the horizon I really like this picture. The reflection is great and the muted colors are a nice subtle contrast to the usual riot of color we get in fall pictures.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:37 AM   #6

Hm. I would at least rotate the image so that the horizon looks really horizontal, maybe 1° anti-clockwise or so?

You can't do too much to the colors I agree, but for overall feeling I'd try for a little "enhancement" of the upper image part, i.e. the things that are not reflections - just a tad contrast or whatever to give a better feeling for the "coastline". It is irritating for me that upper and lower part of the image blends into each other almost like a perfect mirror - I at least clearly want to see the boundary.

Don't have any image manipulation software here right now - might go for a try later this evening if you don't mind.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:16 PM   #7

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
My take is that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...:roll: You know...you have the right idea, the water is cooperating and you have the idyllic reflection...but? Just put those elements in a river at night near a beautifully lit city scene reflected in the water at a distance, or a moonlit mountain lake, stars....A N Y thing would look livlier than this! You just can't bribe nature to give you what you need for a great shot. 10 out of 10 for the shot's technical composition... 2 or 3 out of ten for the artistic appeal. ONLY in my eyes...however, many people might give you a standing ovation. I just don't see it that way. Feel free to reciprocate with any of my shots:-)

Best regards,

KennethD

I disagree here. Seems the conveyance of one's opinion gets bogged down with being too wordy without really saying a whole lot.

The use of some analogy to describe your feelings in this shot is more insulting than constructive.

Basically, you delivered a [email protected] sandwich with your remarks.

I like this shot on the merit of the reflection. It may not be over the top in what seems to be the necessary and overated "WOW" factor.This is agood shot of what is natural and not needing to be overdone with PS. Stands on its own as a very nice capture.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:51 PM   #8

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I like this shot on the merit of the reflection. It may not be over the top in what seems to be the necessary and overated "WOW" factor.This is agood shot of what is natural and not needing to be overdone with PS. Stands on its own as a very nice capture.
Me too.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote