Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:39 AM   #1
Super Moderator

ok, here is one more from the hike.. these mossy rocks looked really cool in person.. not sure that it comes across quite as well on "film".. but maybe some unbiased opinions for those that haven't been there in person will be nice.. thanks guys!

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:28 AM   #2

I really like the textures and colours here Hards, more so than the other Autumn stuff you have posted.

But this is a really bad crop.... too little at the bottom, too much at the top.... or too little at the top whatever. Anyway its cut in half up there.

Even then I''m gonna be wondering if there is a shot here...

mmm no, I do quite like it... if you can save it from crop death...

This posting one per day, may not be the best exercise for creative development...?

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:44 AM   #3

I'd tend to agree with LBoy about the crop but what I do like about it is the muted colours - there's much less vibrancy to them compared to your previous posts and that makes it seem as though Autumn is slowly leading way to winter. A nice 'blog' shot, if you will.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:19 AM   #4

i'm not a big fan of this one. in addition to the cut-off feeling from the top i feel there is no real focal point here. i initially focus on the rock/moss formation which isn't that interesting...i find my eye being drawn further down the path only to be abruptly stopped. i understand that it was probably interesting in person, i don't feel it made the transition....sorry.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:36 AM   #5

Hi Dustin,

Hummm. I can see what you were trying to do.... It was a good idea. But the picture... Nope... Can't say that I like it. To me it looks like you may have over sharpened it.I'm not sure, but did you do cloning or pasting on the upper left. Seems to be a repeat pattern of three there.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:09 AM   #6

it's really hard to take this kind of pictures. Even with a good cam (My guess).There are too many lines and it's overhelming for the lenses. The result it's obviously a oversharpend look for the picture. Next time try the soft side. Maybe with the back trees fully framed, and with a soft look, an with difrent light (my god what am I sayng....)...It's hard Dustin, verry hard to take a good pic in these conditions...

Cheers man
mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:50 AM   #7

I thinks this picture is really good demo for DOF.

but except the front rock with green over them .. there is no other stand out or interesting subjects in the picture...

the picture seems to be too sharp fo my taste...

these are my real opinion abt the picture..
but technically well done Dustin

pasu_chennai

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:31 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i almost didnt post this one for the composition issues that have been brought up, but i did anyways, so we could at least examine/discuss them..

ok, so the composition and/or crop on this shot is nigh impossible.. i have several shots from this general area and i do not really like any of them.. there is just too much stuff going on in the background, if i include it, it looks busy and junky, if i cut it off, it looks artificially ended too soon, as in this shot.. and i am really upset that i shot this so tight on the bottom, that is no crop there.. it was hard to balance out an angle that showed depth without taking in too much of the extraneous junk..

so i am with all of you on this one.. i loved the textures and feel to the shot.. but just could not for the life of me get a composition that i was pleased with..

thanks for all that have commented and hope this less than perfect post at least helped everyone to keep a few things in mind when they are out in the woods shooting..

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:19 PM   #9

The first thing I notice when I look at this shot is my eyes are all over the place. I know you have the rocks with moss and the leaves but it just appears so busy to me. I checked back several times before commenting and I got that same reaction each time.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:49 PM   #10
Super Moderator

i know exactly what you mean widow.. i could do nothing to make the rocks more prominent in this scene composition wise.. they were just too far appart with too much clutter around them..

------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com