Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:57 AM   #1

Don't want to get into trouble here but in order to post a shot that fits on the screen I need to downsizethis picture alot. Therefore I have also posted a slightly larger version that may show some of the detail that exists on the full res version.

I'm not very keen on vertical panos at the best of time as they are very difficult to hang in any convenient sort of way. Anyway at the time I thought this might turn out quite interesting...

Let me know...

Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:58 AM   #2

2#... opps .. forgot to resharpen after .. downsize .. nevermind

now deleted....
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:59 PM   #3
Super Moderator

this one is my least favorite of your panos..

the color combinations are just not working for me.. nor is the bright spot in the middle of the frame.. and the motion blur of the subject..

i actually prefer the bottom half of the frame, if you would end it where thesecond floor starts, if the subject were not blurred, as i like the looking down perspective.. but i don't like it combined with the rest of the shot..

i am not sure that this comment was of much help.. it was hard to put into words what i didn't like about it.. it just didn't feel right..

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:40 AM   #4

Ok thanks Hards,

From your comments and judging by the lack of other opinions here, its the bin for this one...

some you win some you loose... :lol:
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:44 AM   #5

I was going to say much the same as Dustin did, ie the bottom half being okay - then scrolled down and saw that he said it. I think the red wall and orangish line create a visual barrier and you lose the continuity to the upper half. It takes a moment to realize that it's all one scene , not two stacked pictures.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:31 PM   #6

If it weren't looking as if there was some highlight blowout in the top left of this pano I would like it even more.

I do happen to like it anyway as is. Very different perspective for one and I just plain like it.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:49 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Heh, I think I'm becoming your b.i.t.c.h....

I think it's great. I've always loved Escher paintings - never thought I'd see an Escher photograph.

You could sell this to any University Maths department - the geeks will love it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:19 AM   #8

Yes....Yes....Yes.....Yes.........YEEEESSSS !

oh..needed that... !

haha.

Nevermind the geeks, Peri, you and me both seem to like it.... so what does that say about us? :lol:

So happy now. I love this scene and was very happy with the results. The colours, chaos, ghosts, everything. It turned out better than I had imagined during the capture.

It was never really going in the bin, just didn't want to sound arrogant by disagreeing with the general consensus about my own work. As it had been posted and no comments were made but the two on the negative side, I assumed everyone hated it but they were too nice to say. But I realise this is the sort of thing you will either love or hate, so no big deal there.

There was not really a lot I could do about the blown lamp at the top. It really was so bright compared to the rest of the stairwell. I have blended into that space an area from a separate photograph that is 3 stops below the others, as I assumed at the time I would need that. This has managed to contain this and reduce the blown area drastically. However I don't think its that bad for this scene as its chaotic anyway.

This was an amazing place to take photographs. Its only the main stairwell in truth to the area called "Tacheles", in Mitte (old East Berlin). Since beforethe wall came down this huge building (and waste ground) was taken over by the alternative perpetual student and happily down and out artist. Taken back many times by the authorities and retaken by the people (students). Now it is an accepted part of modern developing Berlin in this area. An alternative urban museum almost, it is in complete contrast to its new modern surroundings. Running strong it holds a number of amazing bars, two small cinemas and god knows how many artistic studios that are free for you to roam around to look or I'm sure buy. Its all ran by people who have somehow found a place there (who knows how its all decided) and not by any commercially profiting companies. Its open round the clock and is never locked. Speakers pump out music and alternative performers put on shows. Sitting in one of the bars, while perfectly safely done the outside wall has been knocked out 5 floors up. It looks onto another huge old building side wall some 150 meter over the last piece of old East Berlin waste land, where images are beamed from a powerful projector. The largest craziest viewing screen I've ever seen. If a silent SinCity is not showing, psychedelic images of any kind are projected to complement the music being mixed and the overall very strange, alternative but completely worthwhile experience. If your ever in Berlin, check it out on OranienburgerStrasse. (I'm glad its still there, it's truly a living piece of modern history.)

Maybe I'll post more photos from there later. See my next post for a comparison with modern Berlin

Thanks for the comments.

LB

ps. Hards your comments always welcome and taken on board, but I forgot not mention previously,that the whole shot, or scene is the subject. The motion blurred people or "ghosts"are only part of that main subject.

Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Super Moderator

"geeks" what, what???? me.... :blah:

i forgot to mention that sometimes i use the word subjects interchangeably with people.. (from my profession).. and i had realizedthat the people were not the only main subjects.. i get in a hurry writing these and don't really reread my posts to make sure they are saying what i mean sometimes..

btw- now that i look at the smaller version where i can take it all in at once, before i skipped over it to the big version, i like it a little better.. still not my favorite of yours, but its growin on me?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:47 AM   #10

haha,

My geeks comment was in reference to what Peripatetic said about selling it to Maths Deparment geeks, notto to you.

Actually, but know you come to mention it ... :blah:

Yip, anyway the people are not subjects. I think it is one person all the same. On the very bottom and on the middle two floors.