Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:31 PM   #1

This is my first nude photo. Critique away.... pose, lighting, angle, etc. I was shooting for simplicity and to show curves. The model was modest so this is the reason for her looking away, othewise I would have shot for more interaction and worked with hair a bit.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:27 PM   #2

My point of view:

let start with what you said about *curves* and that is what I do not like enough: since the face is out of first plan, you should consider much more the pose of the body as in this position it does not make too much atraction and loose the sexuality. Another direction of shooting should be taken (much down to the legs) or even stand or sitting with more of her back side to be shown to make better *line* of the body as the face is out of target. In this position you lose the shape of the head (like it is too small considering the body), and maybe the photo is a little too soft andalso in the global, the lightis OK but the hair is missing too much for the reasonsyou suggested and that should be much more in the light I agree.

My simple suggestion as I see the photographing, maybe not the best one but it is for the good purpose....

regards Zak

P.S. hope to see more of the *warning* shoots
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:27 PM   #3

i like the soft light and think it works well with the subject and pose....i would like to see her left hand in a different position or not at all....i feel it disrupts the softness of the lines. ideally i'd like to see something else going on with her hair, maybe she'll become more comfortable over time? i think it's a really nice 1st effort.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4

julies517 wrote:
Quote:
i like the soft light and think it works well with the subject and pose....i would like to see her left hand in a different position or not at all....i feel it disrupts the softness of the lines. ideally i'd like to see something else going on with her hair, maybe she'll become more comfortable over time? i think it's a really nice 1st effort.
Yes I noticed the left hand distrupted that flow after the fact. On the fullsize shot its not quite as intrusive on that line, I guess because you see more of the hands detail and it does not just look like "something" there. I'm going to try variations of the same pose but work with the hair more and take your advice and either keep that hand oput of the shot or possibly that arm in a similar position as the other.

Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:29 PM   #5

Widowmaker

I think as a model she is worthless to you unless she is willing to show her face. That is what hurts this photo the most. The pose looks uncomfortable and the softness seems to add mass the her upper body making it disproportionate to her lower body. Maybe she'll get use to modeling if you work with her. I bet she is more beautiful then she knows.

As a photograph it seems to exceed any "first nude" expectations. This has got to be one of the toughest subjects the try because it is so hard to get "Everything" right. It is real art. Good luck and I'm sure you'll try again.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:47 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i tend to agree.. not only is she looking away, but seems visibly uncomfortable being there.. and maybe this is just because she is looking away.. in the end, because of this, the shot looses some of its appeal i think.. its too bad she would not work more with you..

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:34 PM   #7

I like it. Looks like painting in b/w magazine. Something Micheleangeloish...
AK-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:32 AM   #8

I like this very much, and don't recall seeing a picture before that demonstrates so well how strongly arms are joined to breasts.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:07 AM   #9

Well I agree with the hand being in the way negatively. I don't agree that it matters she is looking away.

Initial response is that this is a well taken shot, pleasing aesthetically and with lovely tonal range and exposure.

On the negative side and this comes over after a longer look, but then stays with me from then on in (unfortunately making this a looser for me) is the perspective on the girls legs. This perspective is diminishing the natural ratio of body to leg to me in an unattractive way. Basically her legs look short.

Success in conveying a womans curves, though let down as previously mentioned.

Nice to see more variation on the forum though.

Post more.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:27 AM   #10

I appreciate everyones input. I do not agree that a model must be looking at the camera to be a useful model however. In this case it does come off as her being uncomfortable but then its the first picture she has ever taken nude. I have cropped the image to do away with items pointed out and cloned out the left hand. So please comment on this shot as well. Thanks.

[Heel removed on advise of Lboy]