Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

I took this photo in the summertime in North Wales, with my Canon A80. I'm currently in between cameras (lost my canon, getting a KM 7D), and am frustrated by not being able to take photos at the moment! So I thought I'd post some photos, see what I can improve on when I get my new camera

Best,

-Ben
Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:37 PM   #2

It looks like a nice place to get a shot but I think the water seems suspended. A longer exposure to get that milky look or at least more motion. The top center is very dark so you might try a little boost in shadows with PS.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:28 PM   #3

Widowmaker wrote:
Quote:
It looks like a nice place to get a shot but I think the water seems suspended. A longer exposure to get that milky look or at least more motion. The top center is very dark so you might try a little boost in shadows with PS.
Thanks for the advice! I'll have a go at boosting the shadows in PS.

As for the exposure, I usually go for long exposures of waterfalls, because I love the smooth look of the water. This one was full sun, though so no matter how I messed with aperture and ISO, it was going to wash out. Thought I'd go for as fast an exposure as I could manage to give a 'frozen' effect on the water. However I prefer the effect a long exposure gives as well!

Any ideas about how I could frame it better, or if the framing feels right to you? I feel like I might should have shifted the framing right a bit - it feels a bit close around the Bracken/Fern.

Thanks again!!

-Ben
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:45 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i would like to see this shot from a lower perspective... you are kind of shooting down at the stream here.. usually these shots are much better if you shoot from the same perspective or lower than the stream.. and yes a longer exposure would be more pleasing

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:38 AM   #5

My comments would be better if I had a photo or a link to the examples I refer to, but I'll make them anyhow. I have seen the technique on another thread in one of these forums, or on another site and can't take any credit for them, nor have I had the chance to try it out but it gave a realistic effect.

The water pics were taken at with two exposures - one long to get the smoothed out effect and one short to get the drops/stop action - and the layersblended. The overall effect made it look much more natural. Obviously, the smooth effect is the desired one at times.

Sorry to take up your time if this is a well known technique.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:49 PM   #6

Dustin: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try getting lower down next time.

Kevin: Thanks for that: I'll be sure to give it a go next time, and let you know! I vaguely remember hearing about it, but had completely forgotten, so when my new camera arrives, I'll give it a go, and post the results.

Thanks again to you both!

-Ben
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:15 PM   #7

Widowmaker wrote:
Quote:
The top center is very dark so you might try a little boost in shadows with PS.
I had a go at boosting the shadows. I'm not sure how good a job I've done - so feel free to critique.

Best!

-Ben
Attached Images