Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:29 PM   #11

They only thing I did to the color was move the middle slider in the level adjustmens to the right to darken the blacks and deepen the colors. I then took the reworked color photo and changed to B&W using the channle mixer. I don't know how you are doing your conversions, but it is rarely going to give the best results just doing a desaturation. Like I said I don't know if they are better, just different. I also cropped it to get rid of the bright spot in the water.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:31 PM   #12

Looking at them all here, mine may be a little harsh, probably somewhere in between the 2.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:52 PM   #13

OK... I've been paying with this for a little bit.

What I thought it needif you wanted to change it would be to think of each elementin the picture and modify each as you would want. (the yellow is really cool looking for out of the camera)

So I started with the picture and then copied and pasted that for a new layer. I do not use PS ! I understand you can copy the background layer in PSat any time. But in Corel When i try that i get all layers repeated, so i do it the first thing so i can go to that layer and copy it.

I paste again and this is my first layer that i modified. Iturned the whole layer blue.

Then used my transparency tool to eliminate the bottom half.

I put the original on top again and used the transparency tool to eliminate the the right side. This put the yellow sun and glow back.

Then i copied just the land mass on the right. (Island ?) Anyway pasted it and painted it black. Put a yellow drop show behind it and puttzed with it to get it a little like the rest of the foreground.

SO ! Now that i did all that... I not sure it was worth it, because i like the yellow. But it shows something can be done.

dale

PS: Always remember to have a unmolested copy at the bottom of the stack layers so you can copy it or start all over. Please let me know what you think of this tweak.

Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:16 AM   #14

I like what Dale has done with adding some really bright colours back into this image... I had a little fiddle and tried to go for an old plate camera feel with a little grain and some dynamic shades - at least that is what I was trying for... just for fun!

Dom
Attached Images

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:47 AM   #15
Super Moderator

ESC- i actually prefer your original to the desaturated one.. and going grayscale is not the best way to convert photos.. do a little search on the internet for some tutorials on using the channel mixer.. i think you will be much happier with the results..

i like the edits by gocubs.. i don't think they are too harsh.. at least not on my monitor..

dale- i like your edit too.. its definately not natural, but it looks pretty cool..

--------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:44 PM   #16

Quote:
dale- i like your edit too.. its definately not natural, but it looks pretty cool..

--------
dustin
Ah shucks..

But, like you, I think the original is pretty cool. If it were mine I'd play with it from that look.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote