Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:24 AM   #11

Thanks very much for all the great comments. Nice to post something that everyone likes.

Mike. Find a good location and go for it. Nothing hard about this kind of shot really.

Actually I will need to check but I have a funny feeling I shot this with a Konica Minolta - A2 point and shoot. Quite a neat little camera. - Shock !

Usually I use Canon SLR's and lenses however.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:27 AM   #12

Yes. I agree with the others.
fairy_basslet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:31 AM   #13
Super Moderator

LBoy wrote:

Actually I will need to check but I have a funny feeling I shot this with a Konica Minolta - A2 point and shoot. Quite a neat little camera. - Shock !

a point and shoot!! what??? say it ain't so LB..

j/k:blah:
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:21 AM   #14

maybe a bit unfair to call this a point and shoot, it has full manual manipulation and a very good lens. Image stabilizer built in to the body. But you've still got work to do. Anyway not an SLR.

Anyway whats so funny, I've never slagged off point and shoots, just the sigma junkies... :blah:

Quote:
:idea:Get a shave....!
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:47 AM   #15

i've tried panos a few times Lboy and i can't seem to get the exposureon all the shots to be the same, or when i try to stitch them in PS using Photomerge they don't blend together right and I get some overlapping or strange things happening. can you give mesome tips?

^^^ you can disregard that as i just read your post on the other topic. unless you have anything else to add to it, but it was pretty detailed. thanks.
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:03 AM   #16

oh ok then, but just in case anyone else has missed the other thread here is a few things to think about.

This does not apply to the above pano as it is taken under a constant light source from left two right. However any outdoor pano will be subject to one source namely the sun, causing many problems in obtaining proper exposure throughout the photograph.

therefore a few tips below:

Most stitching software will allow you after the stitch has taken place, to edit the position of the photographs and the size (band) of the over laps. Now when I make a panoramic photograph, no matter how different in exposure at angle 1 is to angle say 180, I will alway properly expose (and bracket, where possible) correctly for each individual location (photo)within that scene. Some think it is better to exposure lock on the average of the whole scene, which in turn will produce no exposure banding in the final stitch. However high light sources at say one end (sun) will be burnt out and low light areas at the other end will too underexposed. Unfortunatelyat this timedigital cameras cannot handle this technique due to itslow dynamic range. My work around as I have said is to properly expose for each scene, But this means as each scene is changing in exposure you need large overlaps in order for the software to blend this exposure differencetogether in an acceptable way.However if you stick with large overlaps (which is good for large areas of constant colour)your detail areas get blurred and any movements in the scene mean you see shadows and ghosts. If like I have pointed out you edit the position of the overlaps to small bands, the detail will be tight, there will be no shadows or ghosts, but you will see colour bands in your non detail areas, like sky, water and pavements etc. Also if you have any straight lines being converted to curves as the software does, small bands mean they will probably not join, if they do it will be in an unnatural way.

The answer is to make a number of panos with a differing size over lap. Tailored for the detail and the background. SometimesI have to make 3 or 4 and then layer them together. Simplistically speaking I will have one pano with large overlaps for they sky and say pavement, which Ilayer paint into a pano that is sitting underneath that has very narrow banding for the street detail (for example). This is acceptable as colour banding is not nearly as visible in high detail areas.Sometimes I bring back in individual frames from the shoot and blend/paint in individual parts also, to reduce distortion, or correct something that is blurred due to a bad stitch.I also cut the finished pano in certain locations and use the perspective crop toolto straighten buildings that have been changed by the stitching program. I then re-insert via another layer blend back into the pano. This is of course after I have selected the bestfrom my3 bracketed shots at each location and manipulated the Raw data so as its exposure and white balance is almost there. Your now starting to see the permutations.. hahaha. Its about selectively blending together. A blending/ layer painting combination in-fact. Ok so it sounds like anunbelievable amount of work, but its not that hard once you get the hang of it. Also you will produce panoramas that will be impossible to tell apart from a one exposure photograph.And second to that in general, a photograph of high dynamic range and impact.

This is the shorthand version..:-)

Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:28 PM   #17
Super Moderator

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
maybe a bit unfair to call this a point and shoot, it has full manual manipulation and a very good lens. Image stabilizer built in to the body. But you've still got work to do. Anyway not an SLR.

Anyway whats so funny, I've never slagged off point and shoots, just the sigma junkies... :blah:

Quote:
:idea:Get a shave....!

just givin ya a hard time LB.. i have nothing against them either, actually i want to get an advanced digicam (s9000/9500?).. the added depth of field from the small sensors can be a real asset at times.. and probably was in this shot as well..

but you didnt have to bring my grooming into this.. jeesh.. :blah:
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:00 AM   #18

I'm sure any D-SLR could have handled the DOF required here, as the area was so brightly lit,any aperture was easily selectable for iso at 400 and maintaining s-speed. And of course if you use a tripod it wont matter at all.

I was having dinner on a raised open air restaurant (4 levels up)at the time and only brought that camera in case opportunities presented themselves. I couldn't resist moving to the edge of this fantastic vantage point to have a try for this picture, which in the end came out very well.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:18 AM   #19

Breath taking.I guess for a few years I will simply have to watch and learn what goies on and learn.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:07 AM   #20
Super Moderator

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure any D-SLR could have handled the DOF required here, as the area was so brightly lit,any aperture was easily selectable for iso at 400 and maintaining s-speed. And of course if you use a tripod it wont matter at all.

I was having dinner on a raised open air restaurant (4 levels up)at the time and only brought that camera in case opportunities presented themselves. I couldn't resist moving to the edge of this fantastic vantage point to have a try for this picture, which in the end came out very well.
proves it pays to have your cam with you at all times... advice i should take more often myself..