Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:43 AM   #1

My nephew took this shot of his wife and baby with a small digital camera. I was asked to edit this up. any opinions on which is the best edit

Here is the original, the color edits all have subtle differences

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2

Hi,

I like the first edit but I would check the levels on this - i think a bit more of a difference on the dark and lights would do very nicely - also maybe add some grain? Something about grain on B+W portrait shots...

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:15 PM   #3

I quite like the second one, but I'm developing a liking for black & white as a medium andmy opinion is one ofpersonal appeal not technical expertise.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:23 PM   #4

Out of these I like the second but I think the vignette is a little overdone.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:38 PM   #5

Thanks for all the comments guys:-)
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:59 AM   #6

Hi Julie, My preferences for this shot are simple. Take out the two trim thingys, the one vertical (door?) trim on the right, and the one separating the two colors horizontally. H O W E V E R although I like the transparency softening effect, I would not use that effect so much that it obliterates the background colors. I think hazing the background (english is my second language, sorry...babbling is my first) er...as I was saying, making the background too indistinct just makes the subject too raw looking to my eye. Is there any way you can soften the colors in the background get rid of the "trim" I was speaking of but still keep S O M E color in the background? Phew! I know if I were you this would sound like a lot of work acting on someone else's whim, so I won't cross you off my christmas list, if you choose to overlook this idea:-) Ok, that'sah bout all I had in mind. Best regards, & good luck...

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:03 AM   #7

A N D your nephew's wife has very adoring smile...she really gives off a warm glow for that little bundle she's holding. Very fetching ideed!

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:38 AM   #8

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Hi Julie, My preferences for this shot are simple. Take out the two trim thingys, the one vertical (door?) trim on the right, and the one separating the two colors horizontally. H O W E V E R although I like the transparency softening effect, I would not use that effect so much that it obliterates the background colors. I think hazing the background (english is my second language, sorry...babbling is my first) er...as I was saying, making the background too indistinct just makes the subject too raw looking to my eye. Is there any way you can soften the colors in the background get rid of the "trim" I was speaking of but still keep S O M E color in the background? Phew! I know if I were you this would sound like a lot of work acting on someone else's whim, so I won't cross you off my christmas list, if you choose to overlook this idea:-) Ok, that'sah bout all I had in mind. Best regards, & good luck...

KennethD

Ken that all sounds just too hard right now:lol:
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:43 AM   #9

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
A N D your nephew's wife has very adoring smile...she really gives off a warm glow for that little bundle she's holding. Very fetching ideed!

Kd

Yes she loves that kid to bits, they almost lost her during and after the birth in April this year, she spent her first two weeks having brain scans as her head swelled and she was thought to have had brain damage due to fits she kept having straight after her birth, she was stuck in the birth canal too long. She spent quite sometime in an induced coma to stop the fitting. Fortunately she seems to have pulled through ok. Her name is Zoe Renae
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:44 AM   #10

the 4th pic (sepia tone) get my vote

that worked out very well
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote