Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:27 PM   #1

All,

This is from my first day of shooting with the FZ30. It was a cloudy day & the trees overhanging made it even worse.

I'm trying to firgure out how to shoot under low light conditions. Thanks for any opinions!

JuanJ
Attached Images

le_undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:45 PM   #2

Turn up the ISO (sensitivity).

Your probably wanted to shoot that at ISO800.

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 5:02 PM   #3

I would, but the FZ30 only goes up to ISO 400
le_undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:58 PM   #4

You could brighten the image with software after.

Usually you can crank up the brightness by the equivalent of one stop of light without the photo looking too bad.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:02 AM   #5
Super Moderator

i think you need a tripod for this situation as well.. the image is quite soft from the camera shake blur..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:06 AM   #6

I'm with Dustin on this one; I think it's a nice place for a shot, and I like the composition, but I do think you need a tripod, and a lower shutter speed. In low light, you really don't have too many options when shooting water - you have to go for the slow shutter speed, and if you have a tripod, this is made much easier! In fact, with a tripod, I sometimes even turn the ISO back down a notch, so that I can lengthen the exposure even more to get more of the smooth white effect. If you want to carry on photographing streams and rivers (one of my favourite subjects, as you'll see by the fact that my two photos posted so far are both water related), I think that a tripod is a very worthwhile investment. You can even get one of the mini ones from Jessops for not much money at all, and they work well with compacts and are very portable, though obviously significantly less flexible than a standard, larger one. Until recently, all I owned was a mini tripod and it has served me very well. The long exposure I took that's on here was taken using a mini tripod.

I think the shot has a lot of potential, and could be excellent, especially with the fall colour at the moment. I think you could go back there tomorrow with a tripod and take the same shot over again, with a longer exposure, and it would come out as an excellent image.

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:20 PM   #7
Super Moderator

don't be afraid to get your feet wet and get down in the water as well.. that will allow you to get at the level of the water instead of shooting down at it... shooting down at your subjects makes them look flat and loses the depth..

good luck and look forward to your next post.

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote