Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:42 AM   #1
Super Moderator

This is a great reminder of a great day at Kew this summer.

I have an A4 print which looks great, but the detail and colour actually seem to demand and even bigger print.

Without a pano stitch there was no possible way to capture the whole scene, and the light was very changeable too.

So this is obviously a crop of a much larger real-world panorama, but the question is does the crop work successfully? What do you think of the composition?

It has appeal to the family, but I wonder whether it's the kind of shot you might hang on a wall?

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:05 AM   #2

I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong. But for me it looks like too much of everything. When I first looked at the picture, my eyes didn't know where to stop. Very good colors and sharpness thogh.
AK-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3

this version definitely leaves me wanting to see more. i'd love to see the stitched pano. as a stand alone image i don't think this works...it is a bit busy and lacks¬* a focal point.¬* it feels a bit truncated. the colors and detail are great though, there is potential there.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:09 PM   #4

Yes I think its cropped in to tight for such a busy shot to begin with. Normally you would crop in to focus attention to a certain subject but there is no real apparent subject. I think seeing the whole boat and the complete arc of the water fountain would have worked out better.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:02 PM   #5

Peri, Like the reflected colours & the duck but also think it's a bit of a tight crop.

I'm guessing from the title of this post you have roots north of the Limpopo - haven't heard that term for many moons.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:36 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i don't mind that you did not get the whole boat.. that is fine..

but i wish there was more room to the top and to the left.. so you are not clipping the fountain and the balloons.. but still, if i take a step back and look at this as if it were hangin on the wall.. the colors and detail look good.. so i think as you say, this one works better as a print.. and after all, it is going on your wall for your family to see, and if it has appeal for them, does it really matter if its perfect for the rest of us.. so in your goal, i think you have more than succeeded..

------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:15 PM   #7

Chaos is good and that is what you captured here to me. The crazy stuff in the boat and the water fountain in the back and trying to see what is in the middle of allthat. Not to forget the duck which seems out of place but brings the chaos to order. Nice reflection too.

Heck what do I know?

Works for me.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:37 PM   #8

peripatetic,

Just a bit more would be nice. However... This is a great shot with lots of color. Gotta love the duck. Did you pay the duck to swim into the frame. You should of tip him at least.

dale

PS: You know the "Weekly Photo Challenge" is balloons?
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:39 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks for the comments.

It was a very busy Sunday at Kew Gardens, thousands of people and birds (and plants of course) all over the place.

I do feel the shot captures something of the mood of the place that day, which is to say a curious mixture of the dynamic and static, art and nature and artiface all blended together and made magical by the beautiful sunshine of late summer.

The duck was paid. (Actually he was swimming all over, but I saw that he was swimming into a position that might help the photograph, so I waited. :-) )

The stuff in the boat is glass not balloons. I'll try to post some more of the sculptures Chihuli did for Kew - perhaps in the Landscape forum.

And to summarise your responses to my question, you seem to say probably not but ... just perhaps for some maybe ... :-)

Actually I would be very interested to get feedback from anyone who actually went there this summer whether it feels right to them?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:26 AM   #10

The many cut features at the crops spoil this for me.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote