Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:58 AM   #1

Here's a pix of the Knaresborough Bridge that I took yesterday.

JuanJ

Check out the rest of my pix at http://www.flickr.com/photos/juanj/
Attached Images

le_undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:12 AM   #2

I like the photo, and you have captured the reflection of the bridge in the river very nicely. It does seem a little washed out to me - maybe you could have a go at adjusting the levels in photoshop (Layer->New Adjustment Layer->Levels)? I like the composition; the bridge is nicely on the top third. I might have experimented with moving the frame a little to the right, as I think there is slightly too much of the tree on the left that doesn't add much interest to the shot, while the autumn colour and houses on the hillside to the right would give more to the image. Only other thing I can think of is it'd be just perfect if the water was that bit more still - though this is in no way a criticism of your shot - I know how British rivers, especially in the winter months can be!

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:31 AM   #3

Here's a quick and dirty levels edit of the photo. While I was looking at the histogram, I noticed that there was quite a bit of overexposure on the reflection of the sky in the water, and in the sky itself, which in these conditions is somewhat unavoidable (You might try the shot again on a sunnier day, or at least one with some broken cloud - not common conditions in Yorkshire at this time of year, though!). I always think it's better to underexpose images slightly to record the detail, then edit it in PS to bring the shadows up. Anyhow, in addition to playing with the levels, I had a quick go at bringing down the highlights a bit, and tweaking the shadows (Image-> Adjustments-> Shadows/Highlights).

A very quick edit, but I think it shows where you could go with this image.

Best,

-Ben
Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:25 PM   #4
Super Moderator

beautiful scene.. somewhere that i would LOVE to visit!!

techinically there are a few things wrong here

- this one is way overexposed.. i think you needed to dial in at least -1 stop of exposure composition here..

-your horizon is crooked, easily corrected in photoshop but even easier to watch out for when you shoot..

- just a little too flat and centered.. try shooting this one again from a little more angle.. so maybe have the bridge going out and away from you to give it some scale and depth..

-----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:04 PM   #5

All,

I modified it some. Tried to darken it some & straight it out.

JuanJ
Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:19 PM   #6

Ouch.. I'm blind.. The last edit really hurts. If the have the chance shoot again and watch the exposure like Dustin pointed out. Try moving left and turn more to the right if possible. Maybe lead the bridge in from the side of the shot and have the other end centered with the houses on each side. I see some trees to the left so that might not be possible. Maybe from the other side of the bridge?
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator

yea.. i think you are going to have to reshoot this one.. you just lost too much detail to darken it in photoshop..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:34 PM   #8

I'll have plenty of times to do a reshoot. It's only about 10-12 miles from my house. Here's another try:

Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:49 PM   #9

One last try
Attached Images