Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:37 PM   #1

How is this?

Note: This is the central electrode of a Plasma Lamp. This particular photograph has gained quite a bit of notoriety. It has been a top-rated photo at Photo.net, it is a featured picture on Wikipedia and appeared on the front page there, and recently appeared on the website Thunderbolts.info.

I wanted to see what the people here thought of it.
Attached Images

PiccoloNamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:05 PM   #2

Picture did not upload.

See it now. Not sure what it is but it is rather kewl looking.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:39 PM   #3

I have edited this reply like 4 times trying to get the right words so this is the end result.

I see this an ok image. I like the color and the subject but thats where it ends. I think the appeal of the image is the flow and that flow is ended abrubtly at the top of the picture. I think a portrait shot with more of the arc that either goes to the end or fades out would make this a much better image.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:59 PM   #4

PiccoloNamek

This is fantastic! Really! I think this is already a crop so tell us about how you shot and what PP you did.

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:39 PM   #5

Quote:
I have edited this reply like 4 times trying to get the right words so this is the end result.

I see this an ok image. I like the color and the subject but thats where it ends. I think the appeal of the image is the flow and that flow is ended abrubtly at the top of the picture. I think a portrait shot with more of the arc that either goes to the end or fades out would make this a much better image.
This point was argued thoroughly at Photo.net. In the end, more people liked this shot. I do too, because it emphasizes the nothingness around the electrode.

Quote:
PiccoloNamek

This is fantastic! Really! I think this is already a crop so tell us about how you shot and what PP you did.

dale
This is not a crop. This is the original image from my old Olympus C-720UZ at image size 1024x768. The exposure was 8 seconds long, the sensitivity was ISO 100, and the aperture was F4.0. The only post processing I did was some smoothing on the ball to recude the image noise. I didn't even have to change the levels, the shot was so nearly perfect right out of the camera.

PiccoloNamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:38 PM   #6

I don't see where that emphases is accomplished by this framing. More arcs coming off the electrode might take away from the "nothingness" but more length on the one already there if anything would emphasize it more.

Another small detail, and its the small details that add up to make a better photo, is either a slight rotation to the right or evening up the bottom points of the electrode.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:21 PM   #7
Super Moderator

its obvious that you are proud of your picture the way it is.. but i will go ahead and make some suggestions anyways..

but i too think that the flow is interupted to quickly... portrait mode, less empty space on the sides.. and then feather out the arc towards the top.. i think that would put more empasis on the form of the arc and would also keep the softfeel to it which is disturbed by the hard edge at the top of the photo..

that said, it is unique and a good capture.. and congrats on your recognition..

---------
dustin

http://www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:57 PM   #8

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
that said, it is unique and a good capture.. and congrats on your recognition..

---------
dustin

http://www.hardwickphotos.com
I second that. I was not trying to take away from any recognition you have already received.