Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:26 PM   #1

I just played around with a few shots i took of the front of my house and tried to make a vertical pano out of it. this is my first attempt and I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it so go easy if possible. thanks.

-mike j-
www.pbase.com/mikej86

johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:31 PM   #2

I posted the wrong one... my bad... sorry here's the one I meant to post.

Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:39 PM   #3

I like the leaves in the foreground, and also the reflection in the top window.

I'm not sure the mono's doing you any favours here, and the cooler on the left certainly isn't!

Also, I think your horizon's _slightly_ off.

That's all I got - I'll leave it to the LBoys of this world to give you a better critique!

Best,

-Ben
oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:59 PM   #4

ok i'm considering this one thread on my first 2 attmpts at panos so i'm going to post this one as well, please give me some feedback, especially you LB. thanks!

-mike j-
www.pbase.com/mikej86

Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2005, 6:00 PM   #5

these just don't look big enough to me, my monitor is widescreen at a resolution of 1920 x 1200. i hope they look big enough on everyone elses monitor. Thanks!

-Mike j-
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the 1st one, no, this one is not really interesting..

the composition on the 2nd one is much better.. the exposure seems fairly consistant across the frame.. its a tad on the soft side though.. the subject matter, well i am thinking you were just working on your technique here, so for that i think it works..

------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:16 PM   #7

thanks
it's soft on the right because the focus was off i think...
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:25 AM   #8

Hi,

Neat idea with the first. There does feel to be a bit of distortion on it. I don't think it is actual distortion though. Itis becauseof the line of the lawn, its not concentric. This is throwing off the whole photograph. You could make it much better by fixing this. (actually it might need a small alteration at the top...rotation, on second looks. Something is hurting my eyes and head in this shot)

Also its too dark at the windows, bring this up a bit. I think it is also a bit long at the grass area and it would do no harm to crop a 1/5 off there. Still it might be ok when you address the problem with the non-symmetrical line of lawn. This shot is relying on symmetry. Maybe loose the fridge/box..:-)

While thismight not have appeal for all (what does), it would be great framedwithin this house itself.

The second I like too. Reminds me of the stuff I was doing when I first got into this. And its exactly right what Hards says... in order to get the technique down it doesnt matter. Sometimes we all make photos just for ourselves. Anyway still its a fine original way of showing off your car and for future memories. I like this forest scene. As I have said before, they just keep getting better with every one you make. I bet you felt good after you produced it. Its like a little bit of magic.

I use Panorama factory. There are more complex programs out there for multiply rows and other stiff, but it does what I want and has enough manual manipulation for me.

Good stuff Mark.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:47 AM   #9

Mark!?! the names mike! lol.

i'm currently using PS CS and it has an option in photomerge for advanced blending and perspective mode, those are what i've used since i discovered they work a hella lot better than the plain photomerge options. thanks for your critiques! i was just taking some stupid shots around my house to try and get the technique down so the subject matter isn't really what i wanted evaluated here, and i think you understood that for the most part. i really appreciate your help and am lookin to producing better panoramasfor everyone on here to critique. thanks a bunch and there's more to come!

ps- i'd appreciate it if you checked out my site sometime LB and gave me some of your critiques in the form of comments on there. it's at www.pbase.com/mikej86

thanks again!

-mike j-

Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:09 PM   #10

Oh dear.. very sorry about the name..

Mike,

I checked out your site a fair time ago and have looked in again more recently. I think its really good. Photos and presentationaretop notch. I'm glad you took off that fade off view optionthat you previously had on... that was so annoying. Much better now you can see then all at first glance. More detailed comments later if you want, to your in-box ?

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote