Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 18, 2005, 2:54 PM   #11
Super Moderator

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Dustin,

To me a snapshot can be one of the highest forms of photographic art. To me a snapshot is a picture that must be quickly taken of something found. Of course the photographer will apply their skill to that situation even think and quickly plan how to do it. But it's not set up, it's real and spontaneous, and in that respect very different from taking a studio shot of the family. In my view it's actually much harder to get really good snapshots.

My favourite photographer is Elliot Erwitt and a great deal of his best work is snapshot.

Though not of course with Cartier-Bresson who posed a lot of his stuff so that it looked like snapshots.

Anyway, Lboy is a photojournalist, and that's a bit like taking snapshots for a living and just being sent to interesting and dangerous places to do it. ;-)

But on the other hand a snapshot taken by someone who has no aesthetic feel, poor equipment or an inability to to use their equipment is just rubbish.

So I won't accept "snapshot" being used dismissively I'm afraid.

*dismounts high horse*

Lboy,

This IS a snapshot, but it's a good one. I think the appeal is somewhat limited out-of-context, but in a body of work of a suitable type I think it could contribute very well.

It's an image that would not be out of place in a show or book of the right subject; certainly it would work in a collection with the Barbershop pano.
eh???? what is different about what you said then me.. it is what it is, a snapshot, but i as well said it was a good one..

i think you may have gotten on the horse for no reason here...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:02 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
eh???? what is different about what you said then me.. it is what it is, a snapshot, but i as well said it was a good one..

i think you may have gotten on the horse for no reason here...
I'm sure I did and I meant no offense, but for some people "snapshot" = not very good by definition.

Just overly sensitive I guess. Should I start an apology thread? :blah:
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:07 PM   #13
Super Moderator

you can always borrow my apology thread.. we'll just make it a sticky and anyone that wants to apologize for anything can just use it.. :lol:
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:35 PM   #14

I think that kid is nervously eyeing the slope in front of him, worried he might slide down it.

I like the wide angle appeal to it.

I'm sure if you kept experimenting with the effect, you'll get some cool shots.

I have a number of "kitchen" shots at home which I like, because it's normal day to day stuff.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:30 AM   #15

Thanks Terry.

The distortion on the room, table are due to the stitch. The whole scene is wide angle in appearance, but the people here are not. Each is taken with an effective focal length of 29-30mm. So the overall feel is different from a single ultra wide lens. There is no distortion on individual people or features.

Its hard to show how different this would look any other way than having another photograph taken for instance with a fisheye. Which is in essence the only way all this would fit into one photograph.

Unless you work with trained models, who know what to do, it is very difficult to get natural looking photographs of people who know their photograph is getting taken. Multiply this by the amount of people in the shot and you could be there all day.

I was conversing together here for a period of time just waiting for the right moment. Manipulating the scene to something that might feel natural and fun. To all but myself there is a snapshot feel to this. Thats no big deal, snapshots in general are lucky shots, you take what you get.I tried to swing it a little in my favor, unfortunately the little boy was having a rest from all the laughing he was doing up till this point. Thats life...:?
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote