Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:24 AM   #1

My sister and new child. This one worked out quite well considering I pretended I wasn't shooting (camera held lower). Took a bit of editing, but got there in the end.

Limited appeal, but I think she will like it... ? And maybe Ross too when he gets older?

Pity about the burnt out sky. Anyway this direct light produced some nice lighting and shadows for the rest of the shot. Cant have everything always...:-)

ok adding this in afterwards as was not understood - 5 shot pano, I know again..:-)

Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:49 AM   #2

i like it a lot LB. great kitchen family scene. i'm sure they'll love it.

what lens were you using here? you said you're using canon equip right? what body too? just curious.

-mike j-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Super Moderator

probably limited appeal.. its a bit of a snapshot, but the perspective and cropping elevates it above the norm of snapshots.. so its a really well done one..

but i am sure your sis will love it.. and for this shot, thats all that matters really..

how wide was this lens..??

----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
how wide was this lens..??
Hahahahaha !!!:lol: Probably about 3 mm Hards... if one could exist..

A little surprised you didnt guess it.... but this is yet another boring pano. 5 shots in total. Just did a subtle little spin when no-one was looking. Had it in the bag before they even looked up.

Yeah I realised this would be limited in photographic appeal and mentioned that in my initial post. Still I thought I would post anyway. Panos with people up close are really tricky, plus I liked the candid feel to this. However it was planed, on my side anyway. LOL

Mike (got it this time), this is a 20D with a 17-85 IS Lens. Perfect combination for lightweight travel. I use this a lot as I really like the size and weight.

Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Super Moderator

hahaha.. is should have figured.. but judging from the candor, didnt know if you could pull this off with multi-shots.. i was thinking 8mm peleng crop or something crazy.. haha..

Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Super Moderator

LB- you prefer the panorama factory software over the built in CS2 merging software? in what ways?enough so to justify the price?
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:23 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Dustin,

To me a snapshot can be one of the highest forms of photographic art. To me a snapshot is a picture that must be quickly taken of something found. Of course the photographer will apply their skill to that situation even think and quickly plan how to do it. But it's not set up, it's real and spontaneous, and in that respect very different from taking a studio shot of the family. In my view it's actually much harder to get really good snapshots.

My favourite photographer is Elliot Erwitt and a great deal of his best work is snapshot.

Though not of course with Cartier-Bresson who posed a lot of his stuff so that it looked like snapshots.

Anyway, Lboy is a photojournalist, and that's a bit like taking snapshots for a living and just being sent to interesting and dangerous places to do it. ;-)

But on the other hand a snapshot taken by someone who has no aesthetic feel, poor equipment or an inability to to use their equipment is just rubbish.

So I won't accept "snapshot" being used dismissively I'm afraid.

*dismounts high horse*

Lboy,

This IS a snapshot, but it's a good one. I think the appeal is somewhat limited out-of-context, but in a body of work of a suitable type I think it could contribute very well.

It's an image that would not be out of place in a show or book of the right subject; certainly it would work in a collection with the Barbershop pano.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:28 AM   #8

I didn't think I could pull this off either after seeing the stitch.I had a fair bit of work to make it work, but got there. Maybe I will post the photograph after the stitch so you can see the condition before edit.

Software.

Really Hards, I'm no expert on this. I guess you all think so as I posta fair amount of these panos, but thats because its so different from the 9-5 stuff.i just find it good fun and with an added element of creativity.

I started making a few panos along with anything elseI did about 2 years ago. I happened to have Panorama Factory at the time and used that. It took a while to understand how to operate it fully and make best use of all its features, but basically from what I've read I think its one or the simpler programs out there. As it has always done for me what I want and I have developed certain work arounds to certain problems, I have never bothered totry anything else. I don't know about the CS stuff so its a bit hard to make a comparison there.

There is a very automatic mode in Panorama Factory where you just plug in the photos, the camera and lens data, and off it goes churning away until the photo pops out. Obviously this is quite limited and with certain complex situations and angles it struggles and the result doesn't look right. Its then that you need to use the more manual mode. Plus it really all depend on how you shoot the photos in the first place. But generally I have started doing that in a way i know the software will find more conducive.

It wont do multiple rows... which sound like fun. So maybe one of these days I will try out a different package.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:41 AM   #9

Peripatetic,

Thanks for the kind words. However I'm under no illusions here. This shot is purely based at giving my sister a smile this Christmas. I would never enter this for anything else. Its a fun personal shot. A snapshot in any terms.

Still I hope I am able to post here all sort of different styles. And no one need think I am not capable of a bad photograph andarenot able totell me that.

Basically I think this siteis a good medium, and a simple way of bouncing ideas around. Lots of time there are very real mistakes in a photograph that you just don't see for looking. If people point out ways thata photograph can be improved, then great.

I'm not struggling for photographs to post, this is not the bottom of my barrel hahaha, its just something I was working on this week and after my visitto see her recently,I had a stack of stuff I wanted to put together for Big Sis before seeing again at Christmas.

Hey nicely put - I mean the thesis on Snapshot.....

:-)
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:21 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I suspect the reason that you'd never enter it in anything is because it's too personal, not because it's not good enough.

Really, if you had done the same thing in the kitchen of a family in Baghdad, everyone would be going "ooh" and "aah". I suspect that this photograph could have that kind of appeal to viewers not familiar with what an ordinary English family scene looks like.

I'm in South Africa at the moment and felt a very real tug of longing to be back home. I don't see family there there is no familiarity with the people, but at another level it has a deep resonance because I have seen so many scenes just like it. It may not be the most interesting of your photographs, but I honestly do think it is one of the most artistic. All the more reason to give it to the family though.

Even though I'm a big fan of your stuff, I'm sure you take plenty of rubbish too, everyone does, you just wouldn't normally post it.

We don't post the stuff here we know is trash, nor I suspect post the stuff we know for sure is good. It's the stuff that we think is almost there, or we're not sure what's wrong that's worth posting. And as you say a place for experiments.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote